Shingles

Hi Dr Bob,

Well after a week and a half of a wierd looking rash around the left side of my waste and a portion of my thigh, my wife talked me into going to the doctor. He immediately diagnosed it as shingles. After searching for hours on the 'net and educating myself about shingles I have noticed a correlation between shingles and initial signs of HIV, especially young adults (I am 28). I have not had unprotected sex in 6 years (other than my wife) and even before that can't remember any 1 night stands of unprotected sex. I'm fairly certain my wife has not had any affairs. I guess my question is this; what is the likelihood of this shingles outbreak being an initial sign of HIV / AIDS? I have had no other health issues other than this latest outbreak of shingles. How many individuals actually find out they are HIV positive by a shingles outbreak as the only symptom?

Thank You, This site has been great so far.

"This site has been great so far?????" Hmmm . . . gosh, what else do we have to do to gain your unqualified approval? Make you a cappuccino? I would imagine in the great coffeehouse of life yours would have to be a venti one-Splenda-in-the-bottom, double-blended, half-caf, half-decaf, double-shot mocha chocolate latte, no whip, right?

Dude, if you've had no potential HIV exposures, you don't have to worry about HIV. As it turns out, the vast majority of cases of shingles even in young adults has absolutely nothing to do with HIV.

If you're worried, get an HIV rapid test. You'll have your definitive result in just 20 minutes. It will be negative. How do I know? Well, I got your coffee order right, didn't I?

Stay well.

Insertive oral high risk?
Crossroads