Reply from the :quick question to a quick answer"

Hey, Dr Bob,

I just wanted let you know just how much you and the other experts here @ the body.com and indeed all the other posters to this forum have helped me cope over the past few months. I doubt that I would have had the courage to face the trials i've been through without all you guys in my corner. It's now my time to repay that faith. I hope you won't mind me sharing my story with the forum............

Six months ago, i was sexually assualted, which completly changed my world. After the inital shock of what happened had passed. I had choices to make; namely testing for STI's including HIV, but probably even more monumental than that was telling my wife. I had tried to ignore the subject for about a month after, but i needed her to help me through, so i told her after reporting it to the Police. Anyway, the STI panel came back as negative (twice). But still, having to test for HIV was the most frightening thing i've ever experienced, even thoguh the overall risk was low. I tested twice; 28 & 87 days. I WAS lucky; both negatitve! After convinceing myself iwas going to be positive! Anyway, i want to share my thought about how this has changed my as a person and made my marrige stronger than i could ever imagine.

Pretty much all my adult life i have made bad moral choices; I've slept around, been unfaithful, involved in petty crime, etc, etc. BUt since my trials, i have been born again, as i have that second chance. I now feel so proud that i have had the courage to test for HIV and am bcoming an advocate for getting tested, I feel that i have @rediscovered" who the REAL me is and am adjusting my life to reflect that; Being honest, being faithful to all who love me. I am now tolerant where before i wasn't not just about HIV, but of others who i would have dismissed only six months ago. Both my wife and i are planning to do volunteer work in the future, I will most likely help out with a local HIV organisation, she wants to read books to kids in hosptial.

I hope my (now long winded) email can offer hope to those who need it; Neg and Poz as HIV affects us all; black white, rich, poor - no one is more or less affected. Learn to love and others will love you. Give and you will get it back. There is so much hurt in this world and it's caused by just 1% of the worlds population, yet look at the other 99%; The Doctor who gives his time to help others without reward for himself, the love of mother for her children, the sense of being part of something.

You are so right Dr Bob, when you say that the human spirit is stronger and greater than HIV.

My love to you and to all who need the body.com.

Together we are stronger.

Thank you for taking the time to share your story and your new insights. I'm confident your words will resonate with many who visit the forum.

Be well. Stay well. I really like the new you!

Follow-Up-Thanks-Donation
dick mesurs