Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RE: Med Student Confused
Sep 20, 2006

Hey DOC!!!!! Love you! I shut up my professor!!!! I printed out the reply you sent to me, and without showing him what you wrote I asked him to present scientific evidence that an adult has contracted HIV infection from breastmilk in front of the class about 15 students and he didn't know what to say!!!! YAYYYYYY I felt really good about it and all thanks due to you!! I got an HIV OraQuick test at 2 months and a few days after exposure and after 20 mins, it came out negative!! Should I be retested at 3 months again? I know its all about the 3 month mark, so what do you think the chances of me testing negative again at the 3 month mark would be? Can I WOOHOOO!!! ALL THE WAY TO SCHOOL or should I keep wondering?!! By the way, my teacher's face got red and he felt embarrased as he said, and I quote "Unfortunately, as of right now I can't provide you with any evidence." hahahaha, Thanks Bob, you are the man, you are the man in the big chair >with a scottish accent onto that. Quote from one of my favorite movies. Trainspottting. haha Further testing needed?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Med. Stud.,

BRAVO for teaching your professor (and fellow classmates) a valuable lesson.

Regarding further testing, my guidelines remain the same:

1. If there was no risk, there's no need to test.

2. If there was a potential risk, then HIV testing prior to three months is not considered to be definitive or conclusive.

Thanks for your thanks and comments. Your Scottish brogue is flawless.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Conflicting CDC information
Next
Gratitude

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.