Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Persistent symptoms after Oral
Sep 20, 2006

First let me commend you on a wonderful job and wish you all the best. I had a brief unprotected oral contact with a sex worker where she perfomed fallatio on me. When I returned home I realized that the head of my penis was slightly ct and bruised. I showered immediately and placed disnifectant for cuts onthe area. within two weeks I started to feel fatigued and then two weeks later I had diarrhea and an itchy skin rash around my neck and back. I now have tingling and numbness in soles o my feet my ankles feel week and I have muscle aches in my legs like I have been running a marathon. I have lost wieght and have no appetite(I never get hungry). My stools are almost always loose. I went for an ELISA test at 1 1/5 and 3 1/5 months after the incident both were negative. However the symptoms persist the most worrying being the numbness and pain in the bottom of my feet and the persistant muscle aches in my legs. My doctor has said he will not do another antibody test as I have had two negatives and my other blood work was normal. As I am living in Canada I am considering going accross the border and pay for viral load test as this test I beleive requires a doctor's request here. Are you aware of any hospitals in Buffalo where I could pay for this? Once again thanks for what you are doing. Scared In Toronto Donation on the way.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Scared in Toronto,

The risk of HIV transmission from insertive oral sex, even with the slight "ct" and bruises, is extremely low. Your negative HIV tests out to 3.5 months are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how! I cannot diagnose the cause of your numbness and discomfort in your feet and and legs; however, I can, with great certainty, tell you what's not causing these symptoms: it's not HIV!

To specifically answer your question, HIV plasma viral load tests are readily available in Buffalo; however, I strongly advise you do not get one because (1) I do not recommend PCR (viral load) testing for routine HIV screening due to the rate of false-positive tests associated with the type of testing and the cost and (2) you are definitively HIV negative and therefore have no need for this type of testing.

Rather than chasing a disease that you could not possibly have, I would suggest you continue to work with your physician to evaluate the underlying cause of your symptoms. There are many potential causes, including anxiety, that can lead to these types of complaints. Get the evaluation and care that you need, not more HIV tests that you don't!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
some one from military service !
Next
Feet prob

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.