Husband hiv + died of overdose wife hiv-

Dear Dr.Frascino, I am a 47yr old widow My husband died in April 2005 of drug overdose due to his severe depression and anxiety over having hiv & hep c for the past 20 yrs of his life He was a handsome fit & muscular guy. He just couldn't deal with it anymore. I loved him very much despite the infections. We were married for 61/2 yrs. I have been testing for 6 1/2 years and tested nonreactive/neg. We have had sex using condoms sometimes and withdrawal other times and oral sex. Prior to his death we stopped engaging in sexual relations due to his drug addiction and being high most of the time and not being able to function and all the emotional insanity that went along with it. I am trying to put my life together now. I want to know if I still need to be concerned for myself. My last test was in Aug. 2005 and tested neg for both hiv & hep c. My last hepc test was in June 2006 & tested neg. Do I still need to be testing after six yrs. of testing neg? Does hiv & hep c lie dormant for years and show up later? Thank You so much and my prayers got out to all GOOD HEALTH AND GOD BLESS.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's death. Please accept my condolences.

Regarding your health status, testing negative for hep C more than a year after your husband's death is definitive and conclusive. You did not contract hepatitis C.

Regarding HIV, a negative test six months after your last potential sexual exposure would provide a conclusive result.

You report you had a negative HIV test in August 2005 and that your husband died in April 2005. If you did not have unprotected sexual relations with him (including the "withdrawal" method) for six months prior to your August 2005 test, your results would be considered definitive.

Be well. Stay well.

Are Massages Safe?
Dr. Bob World Tour 2006