Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

anal sex with condom
Apr 5, 2001

I had an anal sex with a man in sauna in Paris and was the active (not passive) player. I used a special gay-sex condom but used a saliva to smooth it, not the special water-based liquid. It lasted for 30 sec. The passive guy also used oral sex on me, but without a condom. Am I at risk of HIV if the opposite side was HIV infected? He didi not penetrate me at any time. Could there be a chance for me to get HIV infected? I am very worried, please help!

Response from Mr. Kull

If the condom remained intact (no tears or breaks), it should be highly effective in preventing the transmission of HIV and other STDs. Saliva does not pose a threat to the integrity of the condom, but may not provide adequate enough lubrication to reduce friction to the condom (which may increase the likelihood of tearing). Since the rectum does not have natural lubrication, it is advisable that water-based lubricants are used when having anal sex.

Receiving oral sex does not pose any real risk for HIV infection.

RMK

Previous
what is chlamydia?
Next
I recieved oral from a man, flu three days later

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.