Valproic acid

Hi Dr Bob

I was wondering if you had heard anything of this research. The article seems very exciting (but don't they all). I was wondering if you could give your opinion on this line of research?

Mr Worried

Ps: a donation will swiftly be on it's way

The studies on valproic acid showing a decrease in latent virus pools are extremely preliminary and I feel it's premature to suggest valproic acid will have any clinical significance on overall HIV disease or disease progression. Latent virus hiding in dormant CD4 cells is only one relatively small population of HIV virus compared to the virus residing in myriad types of other cells. "Cure" would involve viral eradication from all reservoirs. Certainly the latent virus reservoir has been a particularly challenging target and perhaps valproic acid or other compounds that act on the HDAC1 (histone deactylase-1) will ultimately prove helpful in this area. If so, it would certainly be a large step forward (a "leap" really) in the quest for a cure. But it's still far too early to count on that leap. Studies are ongoing. This is one of many promising areas of research we are watching closely. One can only wonder what progress we could have made (and could be making) if resources hadn't been diverted to and squandered by Bush's bungled Iraq fiasco.

Is it 2008 yet?

Latex VS Polyurethane
Pyschotherapist+your input=me getting better?