The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Scared ..please help

Apr 5, 2001

I had an unprotected sexual encounter with someone I do not know 3/17. I have been worried sick ever since. I was feeling ill the day I met him and have felt ill since. I now have an ichy rash , tingling skin and my nerves are raw. Please tell me when I can have an HIV test that will give accurate results and how soon I can take one. Thank you for your help.

Response from Mr. Kull

Your question addresses many basic topics in HIV tranmission and testing that are covered in the archives in this forum and in the "Understanding HIV and AIDS" ( page at The Body. Please review that material so that you will become better informed about HIV and AIDS. Knowledge can be a great tool in relieving doubts and anxiety.

For information about the window period (the time between exposure and an accurate antibody test) is three months, and in rare cases, six or more months. Read through "Definite Exposure" ( for more information on the window period.

If you read through the Symptoms archive in this forum, you'll see that it is difficult for anyone to diagnose symptoms on the internet. You'll also discover that many people convince themselves that they are infected, when in fact their symptoms may be inconsequential or a physical response to anxiety. Regardless, ongoing symptoms should be examined by a doctor.


can i have kids with genital herpes
what is chlamydia?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint