Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Varying HIV test results
Sep 9, 2006

I had unprotected sex in January 06 and got an HIV test in February which came back negative. I got tested again in April using the test which uses oral mucus and that test came back reactive. I then got tested again in July (ELISA test) and it came back negative. What could be the reason for such varying results??....By the way my partner was also tested for HIV and is negative.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your April oral swab HIV test was a false-positive. There are a variety of reasons why an HIV-antibody test could be falsely positive. You can read about these in detail in the archives.

Oral swab rapid HIV tests that show "reactive" are only considered to be preliminarily positive and need to be confirmed with an ELISA/Western Blot or ELISA/Immunofluorescent Assay (IFA) before they are considered true-positive results. I assume your April test was never confirmed positive, correct?

The bottom line is that you are HIV negative. You've dodged the HIV bullet. Now that you've had this scare, hopefully you'll never place yourself at unnecessary risk ever again.

Stay safe. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
dysplasia, molluscum, please reply!
Next
NEVER asked before: General Anaesthesia during HIV seroconversion

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.