Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please help. Can't sleep...
Sep 7, 2006

Hi Dr. Bob. I am begging you to help me. This is the third time I have written, but haven't seen an answer yet. I know you are a busy man, but I am beggin for your help. From 1993-98 I was exposed to an HIV infected man - I am a woman. During this time we had unprotected vaginal and oral sex. I was tested with the Oraquick Oral test in July and tested negative. I know these results are to be considered conclusive, but I am still worried sick. I am currently 33 weeks pregnant and am out of my mind with fear. I had "commonly acquired" pneumonia last fall and have had a persistent cough for 2 mos during my pregnancy. Do you think further testing is necessary, or can I really let this nightmare come to an end? Please help me...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your negative OraQuick test in July is definitive and conclusive. I see no reason for prolonging your nightmare. It should have ended when you got your negative HIV-test results in July. If you need additional reassurance, you can retest. I don't feel it's warranted if your last exposure was in 1998; however, if it's the only way to wake you up from your bad dream, then it may be worth the effort.

Dr. Bob

Previous
PEP with Zerit and Videx ONLY ??
Next
Is your foundation listed on Combined Federal Campaign for donations?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.