Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Statistics...responsible ones?
Sep 5, 2006

Dear Doc...firt of all...Hello from Portugal.

I'm an heterosexual married male, happy with his life, and a daily consumer of your Q&A. Comparing your answers for instance, with the portuguese doctors...you are from far THE BEST.

By the way,,,I'm HIV-

The question I have, is not really a question. I read this statiscal information (http://www.dph.sf.ca.us/sfcityclinic/stdbasics/stdchart.asp), wich, as far as I understand, eliminates the risks of oral transmission...

as an english MBA teacher i had used to say,,,"Could you elaborate on that"??

Sorry for my somehow basic english (bet far better than your portuguese...)

from portugal...with care

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Although I did pick up some Portuguese on my travels in Brazil, you are correct: your English is far better.

Yes, I'm aware of the San Francisco City Clinic Chart on "STD Basics" and, in general, I agree with it. However, as with all charts and graphs, it's a bit difficult to include all the information or data in chart form. In the case of oral sex, that would include case reports and anecdotal experiences that suggest HIV can be transmitted through oral sex. However, this would certainly seem to be a relatively rare occurrence and perhaps most often associated with extenuating circumstances, such as cuts in the mouth, bleeding gums, high viral loads, etc. However, it would be inappropriate, in my opinion, to categorically conclude the HIV risk of acquiring HIV from oral sex is nonexistent. For now, the best we can advise is that risk is low and, in most cases, extremely low, OK?

Stay safe. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
circumcision (CIRCUMCISION)
Next
high risk guy a little freaked out

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.