Very Worried

Hello Doc. I'll get to the point. 2 nights ago I had sex with a transgendered sex worker. I was the inserter with condom, after a few minutes the condom came off and when I realized a few minutes later I pulled out. I want to know my risk for being infected with HIV. I know paying for sex is high risk and anal sex with men is very riskier. What are the chances of me being infected and what should I do? It's coming on 3 1/2 days on the encounter. Should I go to my Dr. and ask for the PEP? And how soon can I be tested. As well I amashed I do have a girlfriend and do not want to put her at any risk. PLEASE PLEASE HELP DOC!!! Thanks for any info

worried sick!!

The estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV from unprotected insertive penile-anal sex is 6.5 per 10,000 exposures to a partner who is confirmed to be HIV positive. Your estimated risk would be somewhat less because we do not know the HIV status of your tranny.

PEP should be considered only for cases of significant HIV exposure (or presumed significant HIV exposure). PEP, when indicated, is most effective if started as soon as possible after the exposure. It generally is not recommended if the exposure occurred more than 72 hours ago.

My advice:

1. Level with your girlfriend and be certain not to place her at any HIV risk.

2. Get an HIV test at the three-month mark.

3. Try not to worry excessively. Worrying will not change the facts. Get counseling if you are having difficulty with anxiety during the three-month window period.

4. Read through the archives of this forum. The testimonials there should offer some encouragement.

Good luck!

Just a quick hello!
Always "tired"