Does it sound like I can have HIV?

Hi Dr. Bob,

First of all I just wanted to say you do such a good job with answering everyones questions. Its nice how you throw some humor in too lighten the mood.

6 days ago I had a real fun night until the end. I went down on a 22 year old woman. A few days before that I cut my lip. My lip was scabbing by the time I gave this girl oral pleasure, but it could have been cracking at that time which could have left a pathway for bad things. She climaxed while I was doing that for her. Then I had protected vaginal intercourse with her. But sometime between start and finish my condom fell off ( I was really tipsy from the Vodka). When I realized it I immediately Freaked Out! I asked her if she had any diseases and she said no. She also told me that was her first one night stand, but really that was our second night, she woulldnt do nothing with me the first night but kiss. She looked convincing but that obviously doesnt mean anything.

2 days later I woke up in the morning with a sore throat, white coating on my tounge, headache, achy, my lymph nodes were throbbing throughout my entire body, and I was sweaty. I still have these symptoms but my sore throat is getting a little better. I do have problems with Epstein Bar Virus, and I get these symptoms from time to time when I relapse. But it seems to be more then a coincidence to get these symptoms a couple days after this incident. I havent been able to get any of this out of my head. This worry is taking over.

My questions to you are:

1) Did going down on her with my lip scabbed up increase my risk from low to high for contracting HIV? 2) Is my risk for infection that night especially because of the condom problem give me about 1000 to 1 odds, or do you think there a lot worst because of my symptoms Im having? 3) By me having problems with Epstein Bar Virus does that make it easier for me to contract HIV per episode?

I dont know how Im going to be able to wait 11 more weeks until I find out the verdict. School just started again and I need to be able to concentrate so I can finally get my degree and move on to the real world. I appreaciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule for me. Please tell me what you think about my Terrible ending to a great night.

I also want to make a donation will a visa be ok?

Thanks,

Worried One

First I'll respond to your direct questions:

1. No.

2. "Symptoms" or "no symptoms" does not affect the estimated-risk statistics for acquiring HIV from a particular type of sexual activity.

3. Nope.

Your HIV risk is unprotected cunnilingus and unprotected insertive vaginal sex (condom fell off) with a partner of unknown HIV status. The estimated per-act risk for unprotected insertive vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be less, because we do not know the HIV status of your partner.

Your symptoms, appearing two days after your vodka-soaked sex-perience, would not be due to HIV. It takes weeks, not hours or days, for HIV-related symptoms to show up.

I'd suggest you continue with your plan to get tested at the three-month mark. Try not to worry too much during the interim, as the odds are very much in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this great night with the not-so-great ending.

Thanks for you interest in making a donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. Yes, the foundation accepts credit cards, PayPal, money orders, direct wire transfers, etc. Donation information can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. In return I'll send my best good-luck/good-health karma that your definitive three-month HIV test is negative!

Masterbation causing different children
Funny Joke