Pls Help - Still scared 13 mos - Foreign Strain??

Dr. Bob,

You are an amazing human being in the work you do. You dont even know me, but you have been a big part of my life for the past year. I have been reading your forum since my possible exposure in July 2005. I had unprotected exposure to unknown status foreign stripper 13 months ago. The sytmpoms started a cpl weeks after. Everything in the book. - Male yeast infection, severe night sweats, foliculitis, thrush, muscle aches, severe joint pain, complete loss of salivary function for 2 days, eye infections..etc. All during 2-3 months after exposure.. i still have recurring infections in my genital area.

I had multiple tests done out to 4 months. numerous Hiv 1 & 2 Elisas, 3 viral load tests.. All negative. I had a cd4 count done 3 weeks after exposure it was 600 .. then 4 months after exposure it was 1200.

I was convinced I was safe. Until my wife came down with a severe sinus infection & flulike symptoms along with strange purple bruise in her mouth and swollen lymph nodes. So I went back for more tests. Tetsed out to 8 months numerous more elisa Hiv 1&2 and another viral load.. All negative. I applied for a large life insurance policy giving full disclosure of my doctor visits testing and fears. Thinking of course they test for HIV and if they suspected it there is no way they woudl give me a policy. Well I was approved.. Another positive.

Now 13 months later.. My wife still has swollen lymth nodes and she is going in for a biopsy this week. I have had burning on my toungue and strange white spots on the tip & sides of it.

Please help.. I am very scared I have infected my wife and have a foreign strain of HIV not detected (Subtype O or N or one not yet diagnosed). Or they virus is hiding in my lymphatic system.. I read this is a possibility.

My sincere thanks for your advice and your work

Your extensive (and excessive) HIV tests, including "numerous" HIV-1 and HIV-2 ELISAs, four plasma viral loads and two CD4 counts out to eight months from your "unprotected exposure to an unknown status foreign stripper" are absolutely definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

Whatever was causing your "everything in the book" symptoms and now causing your wife's "swollen lymph nodes," it's not HIV. No way. No how. OK? A negative test (let alone loads of negative tests) trumps symptoms each and every time.

Do you have a strange HIV subtype or is the virus "hiding" in your lymphatic system? No!

My advice is simple:

1. Level with your wife about your indiscretion.

2. Stop chasing an illness you could not possibly have.

3. Realize there are many potential causes for your wife's swollen lymph nodes other than HIV. She should continue with her workup to find the cause without you jumping to an improbably conclusion.

Good luck to you both.

Oral sex is low risk, but why.
how much blood needed to transmit hiv ?