Conflicting info

Hi Dr Bob,

I seem to find conflicting information in the archives regarding my recent exposure. I went to a hairdresser, and he shaved my neck with a straight razor, and cut me. It was a deep cut by any means, but a scratch that bled slightly. If he had cut the client prior to myself, surely there is a risk of infection. The virus does not die instantly, and if the blood isnt dry and his blades were not correctly sterilised, there must be a real risk of infection. Would you consider this to be a risk as I went to the doctor requesting PEP and she advised against it. Many thanks

Conflicting information? Where? Hopefully not in this forum.

Your HIV risk is negligible to nonexistent. For one thing, HIV doesn't survive very long at all outside the body. And for another thing, just how clumsy could your hairdresser be to slice and dice one client after another. He sounds more like a Vegamatic than beauty operator.

I absolutely agree PEP is not warranted. See, no conflicting information here whatsoever!

Stay well. By the way, your hair looks marvelous! But you might want to consider a stylist who doesn't work at "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Beauty Shop."

Stay well.

A Srilankan Invitation to Dr.Robert
19 years old boy seeking your help Dr.Robert