Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Conflicting info
Sep 3, 2006

Hi Dr Bob,

I seem to find conflicting information in the archives regarding my recent exposure. I went to a hairdresser, and he shaved my neck with a straight razor, and cut me. It was a deep cut by any means, but a scratch that bled slightly. If he had cut the client prior to myself, surely there is a risk of infection. The virus does not die instantly, and if the blood isnt dry and his blades were not correctly sterilised, there must be a real risk of infection. Would you consider this to be a risk as I went to the doctor requesting PEP and she advised against it. Many thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Conflicting information? Where? Hopefully not in this forum.

Your HIV risk is negligible to nonexistent. For one thing, HIV doesn't survive very long at all outside the body. And for another thing, just how clumsy could your hairdresser be to slice and dice one client after another. He sounds more like a Vegamatic than beauty operator.

I absolutely agree PEP is not warranted. See, no conflicting information here whatsoever!

Stay well. By the way, your hair looks marvelous! But you might want to consider a stylist who doesn't work at "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Beauty Shop."

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
A Srilankan Invitation to Dr.Robert
Next
19 years old boy seeking your help Dr.Robert

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.