re infection + testing

Jambo doctor,

Thank you for the good job you are doing, some answers are so funny. To be honest I have been reading hiv/aids materials for 3months,your site is superior to the rest of sites 100x! I have come to know a lot I did not know. Im in Africa-Tanzania in the Serengeti (land of big five) if you have ever heard! thanks God I can get those news in the net, as there are no hiv service centers in the national park.

Anyway I have posted you a question and you never answered back, I thought may be it was too difficult. Or else it is already answered somewhere else in your answers. To make a long story short, I have read as many questions/answers only to arrive at similar situations but not exactly.

My question was/are,

1.if one is reinfected would he seroconvert again?

2.Assuming that he did not know his hiv status before reinfection, and soon after reinfection say . . 7months after initial infection and one month after reinfection do test, will the test results be conclusive? 3.(added this time) I read somewhere that if you want to test you should abstain sex for 3months or use condomsdoes this statement refer to reinfection or to an infection by a new virus? 4.for those who are married what is the best time to test?

Back to the answers One of the doctors, responds by first defining reinfection. summaryis a new/secondary infection of a virus which have already infected a person .generally it does not occur in most viral illness because the infected person develops an immunity against that virusand he adds 'but the possibility of reinfection is/are very rare. ..however if a new virus enters reinfection may happen.

The story goes on with the BETA article and so on..however I could not get the answer to the above questions.

Im looking forward to get answers from you soon.pleaaaaaaaaaaase answer!!!!!

Signing off--------amaka aka babaubaya

Hello Tanzania in the Serengeti-Guy,

"Land of the big five????" Hmmm . . . I have heard of this, but it was a gay porno flick. Somehow I doubt that's what you are referring to.

OK, on to your questions:

1. Not necessarily. I'm assuming you are wondering if someone acquiring a second HIV viral strain would experience typical acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) symptoms, right? This has not been well studied as this is still a rare occurrence. But ARS symptoms are not even a given for first-time seroconverters, so as you can guess, the same would certainly apply for reinfection.

2. Yes, if someone was infected for seven months, whether or not he picked up another strain one month ago, he would test HIV positive.

3. No, this refers to the window period for primary HIV infection. Once someone contracts HIV (the very first time), it may take up to three months for him or her to develop detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies that the HIV tests measure. Consequently, to get an accurate and definitive HIV-antibody test, you should take the test three months after your last possible exposure.

4. Now!

Hope that helps clarify things for you.

Randon unrelated HIV questions...
Dr. Bob, time to man up