Do they know as much as they say they do?

Dear Dr. F, I recently move to NYC and work as a waitress in Chelsea. I'm constantly touching glasses with salavia on them and always have open scratches on my hand because of my 2 cats. I recentley had a bad case of the flu with a tempature at 99.0 for 3 days and diarreah that has lasted for over a week. What if my cut came in perfect contact with an HIV infected persons salavia. Is it 100% safe to touch an HIV infected persons salavia to a open scratch or is it totally impossible? Are there scientific facts that it does not transmit this way or are we just assuming and hoping you can't get it from salavia. I'm ready to quit my job and work as a receptionist. Something tells me in my heart that they don't know as much as they say they do and maybe it varies from one person to the next. Does this make any sense to you? Please help

Hello Chelsea-Gal,

Saliva (or, as you call it, "salavia") does not transmit HIV. And since you work in Chelsea, I better cover other non-transmitters as well. See archive post below.

How do we know these facts? Well, Dearie, as it turns out, HIV/AIDS has been intensively studied for the past 25 years. If it were transmitted by touching a glass, don'cha think we woulda noticed by now????

You have as much chance of catching HIV from the spit on those martini glasses as you would from the copy machine if you worked as a receptionist (read: no risk). OK?

Stay well. Stop worrying. And can I get an order of fries with that?

hiv in nasal mucus?

Dear dr. Frascino, does nasal mucus contain HIV and can an accidental ingestion of nasal mucus of a person with HIV and not on HAART be at risk? Thank you!

Nasal secretions similar to saliva, sputum, sweat, tears, urine, vomitus and feces are not implicated in the transmission of HIV, unless they contain visible blood.

Out of curiosity, how did you mange to "accidentally" chow down some HIV positive boogers?

I have searched up and down for an answer...
Just tested NEGATIVE