Am I Insane Dr. Bob?

Hi Dr. Bob,

I really appreciate what you do for all the worried people like us who post on the forum. I have a question about something that's been bothering me for a month. The incident occurred when I let this man suck on my nipples and I sucked on his finger about 15 minutes after he got a small papercut. I didn't taste any blood, but now I'm worried that I could have contracted HIV because I have slightly inflamed gums(they only occasionally bleed visibly). Based on his history, he seems like he could be at increased risk for HIV

I know I"m probably irrational but the symptoms that came afterward really freaked me out. Dr. Bob, on day 11 after the incident I developed a hot forehead and face that lasted for 2 days. A few days afterward, I developed what looked like a brown rash on my neck but then it turned red. Granted, I have a history of tinea versicolor and I think I may have inflamed it by scratching which is why it might have turned red, but it's worrying me nonethless. I put some cream on it and it disappeared within 3 days. Now, after about 3 weeks after the incident, I developed persistent diarrhea and a red inflamed rash on my stomach near my navel. It developed while I was in SE Asia so I attributed the diarrhea to traveler's sickness and the rash to a bad bug bite(it really itches and I scratch it alot). But neither symptom has gone away and it's been almost a week. So tell me Dr. Bob, the honest truth, am I just a crazy worried girl or do I have some reason to be worried. You can tell me the truth, I won't be offended if you question my sanity. But I'm really thinking about this all the time and it's causing me to worry. Here are some specific questions, if you could be so kind as to provide me with information.

1) Do these symptoms sound typical of ARS? 2) Has anyone ever contracted HIV by sucking on a finger? 3) When I fooled around with this guy, I was being unfaithful to my boyfriend. Do you think that guilt could cause me to have the symptoms I have described above? 4) Also Dr. Bob, I've seen you post statistics on here for different people about their risk of contracting HIV. Do you think you could give me a statistic about my odds?

Thank you Dr. Bob. YOu're the greatest and I hate to bother you with my pesky questions but I'm so worried that I get down all the time and start thinking that maybe I have messed up my future. Id like to try to get my mind off of it so I can focus on making the world a better place for the people who really need it, just as you have spent your life doing. Thanks Dr. Bob and I plan to make a donation!

1. Nope.

2. Nope.

3. Yep.

4. Nope. We don't collect statistics on boyfriend cheating or finger sucking. Sorry.

So are you insane? Nope! (Dubya, Cheney, and Rummy yes certainly! But you? No.)

Are you excessively worried and feeling guilty about being unfaithful? Yep!

I would suggest you level with your boyfriend. It's the best way to confront your guilt. Your HIV fears are completely unwarranted; however, if you can't let go of these irrational fears, get a single rapid test at the three-month mark. It will be negative and should calm any residual fears you may still be harboring.

Stay well.

have a baby
Help please