Very scared 17 y.o

First I wanted to say THANK YOU!!! I know that a person like you hears these kind of things all the time, but i couldn't help myself saying that, because as a scared teenager you've been my GOD these 3 months. Learning so much about HIV these 3 months made me join a HIV association and made me help others like me. I'm sure that i've read 80% of the forums so far, but still i have sth. that i wanted to be answered by yourself. Here's my stupid story... After finishing HIGH-SCHOOL i did something very, very stupid. Like every newly graduated teenager i went to a party, got drunk and partied until early hours. But unlike every other teenager i had sex with a prostitute. I used a condome, but the condome broke and i realised it right away so i got out. I and the hooker both noticed it and i'm quite sure that the time i was in without a condome was about 10 seconds. The other morning i realised what i have done and i went crazy. From this web i realised the possibilities of getting HIV and i felt calmed for just a second before going crazy again with the thought what if i was that 1 in 2000??? The only HIV symptom that i had so far are rashes on my both legs, but as i sport all the time i consider that just a swet problem. Maybe i have some other STD's because once in a while i have something red on my HEAD of my penis but it goes away after 1-2 days, no blood or stuf like that, but it feels strange (what is this?). I survived these 2 months and 20 days, but i don't know if i could survive another 10 days. What if i get tested for HIV now, won't the results be as reliable as the ones made after 3 months. I'm going to make a test for other STDs too, because of the thing on my penis i'm sure i have something. And what could you tell me about testing after 6 months, i've read that you are like against it but i'm not quite sure... I know you think that i'm a fool and just another teenager failure, but i'm not. I'm different because I've learned my lesson and i will help others in the future, not because i will change something in the world, but because i don't want them to feel the way i'm feeling through out my whole summer holiday! Please don't mind my spelling mistakes, i'm from Europe and there aren't many nice guys as you to speak to about these problems. I would have donated too, but since i'm 17 i don't have money to do that, but i promise that i will when i have. (not because i have to, but because i want to since i understood a lot earlier that you don't give a damn about the money, you just want to help everyone). THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

First let's discuss your estimated HIV risk. It's not 1 in 2000. That statistic assumes your partner is confirmed to be HIV positive and also assumes more than a 10-second exposure. Your actual estimated risk would be much lower.

Next, your symptoms are not at all worrisome for or suggestive of HIV. As for what's causing the red "something" on your penis, I can't diagnose stuff like that over the Internet. You'll need to show it to your doctor. It does not sound at all serious and it's not HIV related, OK?

Next, testing. You've survived two months and 20 days. I have no doubt you'll survive the next 10 days as well. The odds are all in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this graduation wingding. A single three-month test is all you need for a definitive and conclusive test result. Retesting at six months is not necessary, although, of course, it is always an available option open to you. Personally, I do not believe it's warranted.

My advice is simple:

1. Get a single test at the three-month mark.

2. Discuss any lingering symptoms with your doctor.

3. Review the proper use of a latex condom. When properly used with water-based lubricant, the incidence of failure (condom breakage) is extremely low.

I'm delighted you have "learned your lesson." It's a valuable one that will serve you well in the future! I'm also pleased you have joined an HIV association to promote AIDS awareness.

I'll send my best good-luck karma that your three-month test is negative.

A new movement: I AM POSITIVE
a little worried