A new movement: I AM POSITIVE

Dear doctor Rob,

I was diagnosed with HIV about a year ago. And i thought to myself, instead of bumming out, i should do something. Start a foundation? nope dont have the funds, donate to some foundations such as urs, nope not enough. i decided i needed to launch a full scale war (unlike the futile ones bush is starting around our poor mother earth). I call this war: OPERATION I AM POSITIVE. It has grown to unbeleivable extents. I would like to explain to you how it works, to you (doctor and the readers of this forum) and hope you can help this movement grow even larger. This isnt a war to end ''''''terrorism'''''' or to get more oil. This is a war to end prejudice and spread knowlegde of this terrible disease which if you ask me isnt so terrible. this is how it goes. Once a day, i would go to a cafe alone, look for a random person who is also alone and ask if i could join them. i introduce myself and mention that I AM POSITIVE (hence the name). and i would get into the topic of hiv. helping people realize that no one wants to get the virus, we just get it sometimes without knowing, or simply not having safe sex, or condom failures or cheating significant others or IDU or people like you that have been infected by blood contact and that if the person im talking to is currently sexually active, its possible for him to have acquired the virus(be careful people this is a tricky part). I then proceed to explaining exactly how the virus is and is not transmitted, with the help of statistics. mention that no one is safe from this virus (it can infect anyone despite of social class and lifestyle, sexual orientation and not only people who engage in sex with professional sex workers are at risk). i also explain that symptoms mean nothing, only a test can tell and even they arnt 100% accurate from time to time, window periods etc. I also explain that not enough is being done in the world to stop this virus, no enough funds are being poured into the reaserch of a cure and prevention, i explain all the new experiemtns under way for a cure. i explain that the virus isnt so bad because unlike lets say cancer,because u can actually expand your lifespan and may even die of old age before AIDS kills them. i explain that there are new possibilities of 'sperm washing' to empregnate women who are negative with positive husbands. i also explain the nature of magnetic couples. i explain that no matter how strong a person is, they still need a hand to hold (honestly if you didnt have steve wouldnt your life be emptier? ) i also bring up contradictions such as if your best friend had cancer, wouldnt you stand by his side? as long as you dont have sex with ur friend, You are as likely to contract hiv from him as you are contracting cancer: theres no way.

THIS MOVEMENT HAS MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! i was in california the other day on a visit and some guy walked up to me in starbucks and started the I AM POSITIVE intiation speech, i told him i was the one who started it all. I DONT LIVE ANYWHERE NEAR CALIFORNIA. THIS MOVEMENT WORKS, THIS MOVEMENT HELPS!! it will not only give the positive people more self esteem, but it will help them co-exist with the negatives, help them find significant other, help unsuspecting positoids to get tested and stop the spread of the virus, letting people understand that magnetic couples are possible. If this works, i imagine (probably wishful thinking) that there will be no more stygmatisation, no more new infections before a cure if found. put a spotlight on the fact that not enough is being done, maybe the cure will be available a few years before it wouldve been if i havnt started this movement. Doctor, HELP ME SPREAD THE KNOWLEDGE, HELP ME MAKE A DIFFERENCE, HELP ME HELP ALL THE POSITOIDS, HELP ME END THIS EPIDEMIC.

God bless and thank you for reading this and keeping it alive. If this movement dies, so do the hopes of many people. KEEP IT ALIVE, KEEP US ALIVE. This is a war i refuse to lose.

Sure I'll publish your post, but in all reality, walking up to a stranger who is enjoying his or her Venti double-shot half-caf mocha latte and launching into a discussion of sperm washing may not have exactly the effect you want. Friends and family may be better targets for this discussion. Plus, they're less likely to have you arrested for bothering them.

Just in case your I AM POSITIVE campaign peters out, there are loads of AIDS-awareness groups always looking for more volunteers for their outreach programs.

I applaud your efforts, even if your methods are still a bit in question.

Venting off from Brazil - update
Very scared 17 y.o