Venting off from Brazil - update

Dear Dr. Bob,

This is your samba instructor, remember? How are you?

Well, as at my end the last two months have been hard. Ive been having all kinds of symptoms (nodes, sore throat, yeast infection, fatigue, etc..) and yesterday I got the nerves to go get tested.

My exposure was in July 07th - very low risk (8 weeks ago). I know this is not a conclusive result, but how accurate will it be? I mean, if I were infected, would it show "inconclusive" or "indeterminate" to say the best? Or would it show "reactive" right away?

I didnt sleep at all last night thinking about all kinds of possibilities and I am terrified to go get the result tomorrow.

I want to thank you for spending your precious time and sharing your thoughts with me in my previous e-mail.

I will keep you posted.

Signed Samba instructor (although I have a confession to make - I suck in samba)....

PS. Is there any address I can send you some brochures from Brazil? Maybe thats an idea for vacations for you and Dr. Steve.

Hey Brazil-Guy,

You suck at Samba??? Really? Then why am I even bothering to respond??? Any chance for a guided tour up the Amazon? Private introduction to some hot Cariocas on Ipanema Beach? Personal guide for Rio's Carnival????

I'm delighted you got the nerve up to be tested. Knowing is always better than not knowing. However, tests taken prior to three months are not considered definitive. If your eight-week test is negative, the best we can say is that it's very encouraging, but not yet conclusive. (It is true most, but not all, HIV pozitoids have detectable anti-HIV antibodies by six weeks.)

As for visiting Brazil, I've been there four times and have had marvelous adventures with each visit. Rio remains one of my favorite destinations. Vacation brochures can be sent to my office at the Foundation. Include the ones with the Cariocas on the beach, OK?

I'm continuing to send you my good-luck karma that your HIV tests are negative, even though you suck at Samba.

one last time - mine was high risk! Please answer!
A new movement: I AM POSITIVE