Re: This looks promising

Dr. Bob,

With regard to your recent posting about the medical breakthrough researchers in Canada have made in identifying a protein that can restore the function of defective cells caused by HIV, why the hell wasn't this reported by any major news service? I did a google search and nothing came up other than medical journals/publications and blogs. No NY Times, not even the BBC which is usually pretty good about these things I feel. What are we supposed to think? Does this mean the information is not as credible as we may hope or is there some sort of crazy sinister plot going on to keep the public at large uninformed about breakthroughs in HIV/AIDS therapy? The latter possibility is the most frightening I think. Just curious to get your thoughts.

No, there is no crazy sinister plot to keep the public at large uninformed. If truth be told, the public at large just isn't all that interested. Most either think AIDS is curable already or that it's someone else's problem. They are much more interested in the Jon Benet Ramsey investigations or whether Brittany is going to drop her baby on its head.

Most news agencies also have difficulty explaining complex scientific concepts, such as proteins that may help restore defective functioning of certain T-cell sub-populations. Stories like that don't sell newspapers or keep John Q. Public tuned into the nightly news.

The information I posted is only one of several very promising avenues of immune-based research. Whether any of them will actually pan out, only time will tell. Let's keep fingers crossed and research dollars flowing in the hopes that these "breakthroughs" will eventually become effective therapies. Only then will they be "ready for prime time."

Thank You For Wishing Me Luck!!
one last time - mine was high risk! Please answer!