help, condom slipped off with HIV+ boyfriend
Aug 31, 2006
I am a 23 year old guy who is daying a 28 year old HIV+ guy. We pratice safe sex, and have never had a problem until now. Last night he was having sex with me (i was on the bottom) and the condom he was using slipped off. We had been drinking so I didnt notice right away, but did within 45 seconds or so. He didnt cum in me, and i got rid of the condom (it went inside) as soon as i realized. he precums a little, and this is my main concern, should I go see a doctor, and go on a PEP program? He is a very healthy guy who is on a combivir/sustiva regimen, and has an undetectable viral load. Still Im concerned, what should I do here?
Response from Dr. Frascino
To PEP or not to PEP, that is the question! On the "not to PEP" side would be:
1. very brief exposure
2. no ejaculation
On the "to PEP" side would be:
1. Losing the condom during backdoor action does qualify as unprotected receptive anal sex.
2. You were drinking, which may have impaired your memory of exactly what happened.
The proper decision here is for an HIV specialist to "offer PEP," which means we don't strongly encourage it because we realize the risk is small, but we don't discourage its use either because the risk, although small, remains real. If you are genuinely concerned and worried, you should take PEP for 28 days, starting as soon as possible and no later than 72 hours post-exposure. If you aren't all that concerned, despite realizing there was indeed some degree, albeit small, of risk, then you would skip PEP, but in either case you'll need HIV testing at three months.
Good luck! I'm here if you need me.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Black Spots After Getting A Tattoo Worried I Have HIV
- Erectile Dysfunction After Receptive Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Red Eyes After Sucking Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Glands After Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Oral Sex Hooker What Are The Chances Of HIV
- White Bumps After Erotic Massage Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.