Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

get married to a recently diagnosed male partner
Aug 30, 2006

dear doctor, me and my fiance are both newly graduated doctors, we are so desparte we need your help please calm us down, recently his two ELISA tests went positive and the western blot also, he is in shock now, my familly are so worried ca we continue on and get married how can i protect my self what is the next step for him, we live in aommunity that HIV is not a subject to talk about help me please

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Getting a positive HIV diagnosis is indeed a shock, and a period of adjustment to this new reality is to be expected. Are you a newly graduated "medical" doctor? If so, you should have learned quite a bit about HIV during your training. If not, I suggest you begin by reviewing the wealth of information on this site and its related links. Begin by clicking on the Quick Links that can be easily accessed on The Body's homepage. Begin with the "Just Diagnosed" category and proceed on from there. I would also suggest you review the information in the archives of this forum under the heading of "Magnetic Couples" (one poz, one neg.).

Can you still get married? Yes, certainly.

Finally, if no one in your community is talking about HIV/AIDS, then take this opportunity to open the discussion. Become an advocate for HIV/AIDS awareness.

I'm here if you need me. And please note I'm HIV positive and have been in a wonderfully supportive and loving relationship for 13 years. Steve (Dr. Steve in The Body's Tratamientos Forum) and I would have been married long ago, except Dubya and the rightwing extra-chromosome Christian zealots believe that if our union were legally recognized, it would somehow destabilize Western Civilization.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Just wondering/just a thank you
Next
Please Help Upper Lip Biting

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.