Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can we clear up lymph discussions?
Aug 29, 2006

Hello Dr Bobbie!!!

Hope you are well, happy and "feelin the luuuuuuuuuv!" Cheerio's to Dr Stevo also (the big spunk!)....we're always saying hello to you, but forgetting to tell Dr Steve we luv him too! Pass it on! I've been searching the archives tonite..as I have some questions about lymph nodes, as it seems many are confused about what, who,how..... There was anohter question today....so maybe we can discuss it now and make it more clear if thats a possibilty? :-) I know it's hard to maybe answer some of these, and we all know you cant diagnose on here, but maybe your "general and past" observations may shed some light?

Just to confirm and clear things up... I know everyones bodies react differently, but in general...? NO ONE IS TO EXPECT ANY DIAGNOSIS FROM THESE COMMENTS OK KIDDIES?

1) Are swollen lymph glands commonly present in most hiv'rs when seroconverting? High percentage? And where are they most common?

2)Would they dissapear after seroconverting?

3) Could they range from different sizes? Or are the smaller pea size ones more common, or the large "medically diagnosed" swollen glands?

4) Is it true that they appear "generalized"?Not only in one spot, but in two or more spots? (Re: armpits, groin, neck etc...)

5)What seems to be the most common place for them to be if they appear after seroconversion?

6) If they were to appear after seroconverting, would they be likely to be persistant and continue to stay there for a while, or come up for a week or two then dissapear, and reoccur again and again?

7)Can a swollen lymph node related to hiv just dissapear in a day? Example...appear large at night, and then gone the next morning? Or does a swollen node always stay for a period of time?

8)Can little lumps be confused for swollen glands - and if so, what are they? Shaving lumps? Little non serious cyts?

9) Do the swollen lymph nodes related to hiv generally hurt or non painless?

Any more light you can shed on this would be appreciated, as there still seems to be some confusion with all of this? (like the guy that was thinking of killing himself because he had swollen glands??? Not good :-(

Look forward to your response Dr Bob...."you da' man"!!!

Reggie xoxoxoxoxox

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Reggie,

It would be my great "pleasure" to pass some luuuuuuuv on to Dr. Steve-O!!!

OK, I'm back now and Steve-o is, um, shall we say, most appreciative!?!

Now on to your questions:

1. Approximately 75% of folks with primary HIV will have generalized lymphadenopathy (swollen glands at multiple sites).

2. Sometimes they persist, but most often they go away.

3. They can range in size from person to person and in different locations on the same person.

4. See #1 above.

5. See #1 above.

6. The condition tends to vary from person to person.

7. Nope.

8. All sorts of things are frequently confused for swollen glands. The list is nearly endless. If you are not a doctor, you really don't have the knowledge or the expertise to localize lymph nodes or determine if what you are feeling is normal or not.

9. "Non-painless" is a double negative. The generalized lymphadenopathy associated with HIV disease is non-painful or painless, but not non-painless!

The best advice I can give on this topic is contained in #8 above.

Ciao, Reggie.

Dr. Bob

Previous
thanks
Next
Risk of std's for protected oral sex?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.