Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Good girl in NY needs the sexy Italian doc
Aug 29, 2006

I hear you about the repetitiveness of the questions. In an effort to be one less person in your hair, I put forth my most gallant effort to check the archives. Really, I did. Problem is, I can't find my exact set of circumstances, and I'm terrified. Never have I felt so alone yet felt such warmth from a stranger (you).

My potential exposure involved a forced kiss during which I ingested fresh blood from the person's mouth, and unprotected sex with 1 boyfriend ever. I know the statistics; that's not why I'm writing.

In 6 years since this happened, I've never gotten sick once. Not even a cold or anything. But I have all the aesthetic symptoms, including dissipation of fat or collagen from my face. It could be from sun tanning, but I'm really getting scared. (I've been reading conflicting information on facial/body wasting. Some reports assert that the Hiv DRUGS are actually the culprit; others say it may be a natural progression of the disease itself.) So here are the questions:

1) Can wasting occur without being on any Aids drugs?

2) Specifically, for a person who has NEVER exhibited any physical symptom of illness in the 6-year window period (and has never been on Aids drugs) but who has dissipation of facial and some body fat, what is the likelihood, in your professional experience, that it could be Hiv/Aids?

3) If I have visible atrophy, how could it be anything BUT Aids? I mean, what else could possibly cause facial fat loss?

4) A poster on this site asserted that no facially wasted person can successfully "flush their face". (Here's the link: www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Starting/Current/Q152387.html ) I've tried every way I know how to induce this, but no blood will rush to my face! Is this a sure indication of Aids? Is there any other medical reason this could ever happen? (This revelation has me sick with terror... not to mention dizzy as fuck from my relentless blood-rushing attempts.)

5) When distended abdomen is Hiv/Aids-related, does it present with a horrible, bloated, uncomfortable feeling after every single meal? Or is it purely aesthetic?

6) I'm reading everywhere that "red band gingivitis" nearly always is indicative of Hiv/Aids. I have a slight red band of gingivitis over 4 teeth. Is this a sure sign of Hiv/Aids? Has red band gingivitis ever been observed on someone not infected?

My problem could be sun tanning damage... or maybe intestinal blockage because that can affect the appearance in various ways... or worse. Please don't think I'm superficial, but I'm used to being beautiful and turning every head when I walk into a room. I don't know what's happening to me. The fear gripping my heart is so debilitating I can't breathe. I had to go to the emergency room because I thought I was having a heart attack. (I wasn't). I just couldn't bring myself to test while I was there. Also, I've essentially isolated myself from every single person I love for the last 2 years because I don't want then to see me like this! I work from home so I have that luxury, but being a person who is in love with the outdoors and nature more than anything on earth, this has broken my spirit. My soul is trapped in a cage and I cry every single day with no less than lamentations over this fear that has complete control of me. Please help me if you can. Please.

xoxo, Good girl in New York

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Responding in detail to your six questions would not be helpful.

Your HIV risk is extremely low, as you know from having read the statistics. However, you remain "terrified" and worried about possible symptoms. Consequently my advice is simple:

1. Get an HIV test. A rapid test will give you a definitive answer in just 20 minutes. Symptoms or no-symptoms this is what you must do. 2. Because "fear is gripping (your) heart" to the point you are having panic attacks and going to the emergency room and becoming a housebound recluse feeling "trapped in a cage and crying every day," you need to see a psychiatrist. Your level of fear is completely disproportionate to any real risk. You are suffering from depression, anxiety and irrational fears. These very real medical conditions can produce "symptoms," and the conditions are readily amenable to proper psychiatric intervention and treatment.

Good Girl, right now you don't need a sexy Italian doc, you need a competent and compassionate shrink.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Worried-I don't think it's a dumb ?
Next
Hiv and oral ulcers

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.