Worried-I don't think it's a dumb ?

May 7, 2005 is the closest thing I have found about tracheostomies. I was taking care of a pt. and they have a trach and they coughed very hard and it got in my face I 'm not sure if there was blood in it or not as there was the day before!! Do you think I;m at risk for HIV? I know that the only way it can infect is if it got into my eyes, nose or mouth-I'm not sure if it did or not? I washed my face as soom as I could afterwards? Please respond-I trust your answer!! Thanks!

All potential occupational exposures should be reported to occupational medicine and documented on an incident report. All medical facilities and agencies have procedures and policies in place to not only document these events, but also to evaluate for potential significant exposure to bloodborne pathogens, such as HIV and hepatitis. Appropriate testing and, if needed, treatment and follow-up are mandated by these policies and procedures.

Overall, from what you've written, I would say your HIV risk would be negligible to nonexistent. However, since you do not know if the secretions got into your eyes or mouth, I certainly have no way of knowing either!

Talk to your supervisor and fill out an incident report. Chances are you could ask the source patient to be HIV tested if there is an ongoing concern.

le cout des et autres questions
Good girl in NY needs the sexy Italian doc