doc:(good news or bad news?

hi doc you can call meby the name scaredsailor im currently deployed overseas, and it really feels good to protect the freedom of people like you who find the time to help and educate others... my question is i had unprotected sex with a random japanese girl. it was around early april and i took an elisa test on may 31st 06, i just got the results today and the senior medical officer told me that it came back negative.. so how conclusive is this?people tell me that the window period is 3 to 6 months or even one year out. im confused..and as far as my status where do i stand?? is this goodnews,bad news or just too early to tell? help me out doctor B im having a lot of mix feelings about my results:( thanks and keep up the good work:)

Hello Scared Sailor,

A negative HIV test is always "good news;" however, it may not always be definitive and conclusive good news. The problem is that HIV-antibody tests taken prior to three months from the potential exposure are not considered to be definitive.

So to sum up, your negative result at two months is encouraging, but not conclusive. You'll need to repeat it at three months. Testing out to 6 or 12 months for your type of exposure is not warranted or necessary in my opinion. Of course, that option is always open to you, but I don't believe it's necessary.

So no need to have "mixed feelings" about your results so far. They are very encouraging "good news." I'll send you my good-luck karma that your definitive test at three months is also negative.

Thanks for your efforts on our behalf. Please come home safe and soon!

No-one to talk to in Japan
Symptoms ou stress/anxiete?