could not find your answers in archive

Hi Doctor Bob,

Like others who have read your site, it is a great source of information. I warmly thank you and Dr. Steve for helping to educate us. I will e making a donation next week when I visit your Medical group.

I just have one questions with reagrds to tetanus shot and HIV testing. I reposted one of your replies below to another person but could not find the answers you described in the archives. Can you point them out to me again? I want to know if there have been any studies down on the effect of recent tetanus vaccines on false positive HIV tests. Thanks.

J

vaccine and hiv testing Aug 17, 2005

Hi dr Frascino,

I recently (1 month ago) got vaccinated for tetanus. Now I wanted to get tested for hiv. Can the vaccine give a false positive result. Will donate, thank you.

Another QTND (Question That Never Dies). Check the archives, Honey. The answer has been waiting for your double click.

No, tetanus vaccines will not affect HIV test results.

Good luck on your test! We'll all be keeping our fingers crossed for you.

There are some brief reports of recent tetanus vaccines possibly causing indeterminate Western Blot tests. Personally I have never seen or even heard of a false-positive ELISA test attributed to tetanus vaccination. We'll explain all of this in greater detail when you visit the Frascino Medical Group next week. There are simple ways to distinguish false-positives from true-positive HIV test results. Consequently I urge you not to worry and stress out over something that we deal with on a regular basis. All your concerns will be addressed at the time of your visit and your testing will provide you a definitive result, OK?

Try to relax; you're in good hands! Ours!!!

PERT ASSAY
I hope this will help someone out there