Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

could not find your answers in archive
Aug 28, 2006

Hi Doctor Bob,

Like others who have read your site, it is a great source of information. I warmly thank you and Dr. Steve for helping to educate us. I will e making a donation next week when I visit your Medical group.

I just have one questions with reagrds to tetanus shot and HIV testing. I reposted one of your replies below to another person but could not find the answers you described in the archives. Can you point them out to me again? I want to know if there have been any studies down on the effect of recent tetanus vaccines on false positive HIV tests. Thanks.

J

vaccine and hiv testing Aug 17, 2005

Hi dr Frascino,

I recently (1 month ago) got vaccinated for tetanus. Now I wanted to get tested for hiv. Can the vaccine give a false positive result. Will donate, thank you.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Another QTND (Question That Never Dies). Check the archives, Honey. The answer has been waiting for your double click.

No, tetanus vaccines will not affect HIV test results.

Good luck on your test! We'll all be keeping our fingers crossed for you.

Dr. Bob

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

There are some brief reports of recent tetanus vaccines possibly causing indeterminate Western Blot tests. Personally I have never seen or even heard of a false-positive ELISA test attributed to tetanus vaccination. We'll explain all of this in greater detail when you visit the Frascino Medical Group next week. There are simple ways to distinguish false-positives from true-positive HIV test results. Consequently I urge you not to worry and stress out over something that we deal with on a regular basis. All your concerns will be addressed at the time of your visit and your testing will provide you a definitive result, OK?

Try to relax; you're in good hands! Ours!!!

Dr. Bob

Previous
PERT ASSAY
Next
I hope this will help someone out there

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.