Dr. Bob, your my only hope!!!!!

Dear Dr. Bob - Hello, need some help PLEASE! I have been reading the your archives for about 2 years now and have found alot of answers, but I would feel so much better hearing it from you. Heres my story. In Nov 04 I had unprotected sex 4 times with a women who I later found out has a very RISKY past (multiple sex partners, drug use). I began to have many symptoms within a month of our last encounter. Dry eyes, white tongue, rash, rib pain...the list is like everyone elses except 2 years later and i still have alot of symptoms!!! I have tested for hiv 1 at least 10 times out to 19 months (all anitbody tests), all negative and have tested for HCV 6 times as well, all negative!!! I just cant get it out of my mind. I feel that because i have symptoms something must be wrong (like so many others). What do you think Dr. Bob?? I have noticed in the archives that many people have the same symptoms as myself but cant find out whats wrong with them. Do you think that there is some new STD or new strain of HIV/HCV that the medical field is not aware of yet????? Should I see another specialist?? Should I worry about HIV 2?? I just want to stop this madness that is consuming my life!! i am seeing a counsler but its not working to good just yet!! Please help me out and tell me I can woo hoo about all my HIV/HCV testing!! Bless you for all your help! I have never met you but I think of you as a friend & I wish you well in your life. Thank you Jason

Hello Jason,

Ten negative HIV tests and six negative HCV tests out to 19 months since your potential exposure and you still "just can't get it out of (your) mind???" Hmmm . . . exactly which part of "YOU DON'T HAVE HIV or HCV" are you having difficulty understanding?

To answer your specific questions:

1. Do I think there is a new STD or new strain of HIV/HCV causing your symptoms? Nope!

2. Should you worry about HIV-2? Nope, although HIV-2 testing is now readily available if you desire it.

3. What do I think? I think you've had way too many HIV and HCV tests. I also know a negative HIV or HCV test trumps symptoms each and every time. In addition I know HIV and HCV are not your problem. No way. No how.

My advice:

You state "I just want to stop this madness that is consuming my life." I agree! To do that you need to treat the "madness," not continue getting unnecessary HIV and HCV tests! If your counselor isn't helping, I suggest you see a psychiatrist. Show him this post so he'll have a better understanding of your problem and how best to treat your totally irrational fears of HIV and HCV.

Good luck, Jason. With the proper treatment the madness will indeed stop and you'll regain both your mental and physical wellbeing.

Good luck!

How does it feel??
it found me.