An Afghan's ordeal,his prayer to Dr.Robert

Dearest American friend,How are you doing? Very well I hope by the blessings of god almighty[jesus christ\allah\shiva......].Inshallah[god willing] you would lead a great life ahead as well. Despite the rather orthodoxy associated with the religion I belong to,I have indulged in rather "unorthodox"way of life I would say.I have had three episodes of what you all call on this website,UNPROTECTED INSERTIVE VAGINAL SEX" until date with THREE DIFFERENT WOMEN.One episode with each of the three women. One of the women,was operated upon three weeks back for low back pain.The blood tests the hospital staff ran on her included the Hiv test,which was negative. I dont quite know the Hiv status of the other two women.Sir I have,after the three episodes' changed enormously.I am always pre occupied,always obsessed with thoughts of hiv,become a bit of a loner,given up on my most passionate sport of horse riding[I own three supremely magnificent stallions],not going out on picnics.......list is endless.Its been exactly four months since the third episode of sex I had,I am simply not being able to lead a normal life at all......Sir I need your help in these really challenging times I am going through.Will You help me? Please do help .I want to take up the AIDS test sooner than later.Would you write back and offer encouraging words like you do to others?..woohoo and the like?/Is there anychance I could get to say those words too after I test?? PLEASE HELP ME .........I PRAY

Hi Afghani-Buddy,

Your HIV risk is, as you mention, three episodes of unprotected insertive vaginal sex. The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from insertive unprotected penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures. Your risk would be less, as we do not know the HIV status of your partners. This will hopefully help to put your level of risk into perspective.

I agree HIV testing is warranted, because you had unprotected sex. However, the odds remain immensely in your fever that you did not contract HIV from this trio of experiences.

Your current anxiety and anhedonia (absence of pleasure or the ability to experience it in your life) is a consequence of guilt and worry, largely stemming, I would guess, from your affiliation with the orthodox religious views you mention in your post. Personally I doubt Christ, Allah, Shiva, Buddha, Bill Gates (or whomever one chooses to worship, admire or emulate) would want us to feel miserable as a consequence of something as wonderful and normal as love and sex.

Is there a chance you'll be WOO-HOO-ing after your definitive three-month HIV-antibody test? Absolutely. In fact, the odds are really very much stacked in that direction. I'll gladly add my good-luck/good-health karma to your cause in hopes that your results confirm that you are HIV negative.

While waiting for your test, I strongly suggest you ride those "three supremely magnificent stallions". They need their exercise and you need to rekindle your passion for the pleasures of this life. Go on a picnic and focus on the wonders of being alive at this very moment in time. Yes, you made an error in judgment (well actually three errors in judgment); however, the important thing to do is learn from those indiscretions. When you have sex (by the way I would argue having sex is healthy and normal, not unorthodox!), just do it safely using a latex condom properly. That will limit any HIV risk while allowing you to enjoy one of life's greatest gifts and "supremely magnificent" pleasures! Enjoy your ride!

Good luck!

integrase inhibitors,where are they?
antibiotics and testing