Testing - technique flawed?

Dr Bob,

I am a huge fan of yours - rarely have I seen such witty and yet at the same time helpful comments posted on any website. Most of the sites I have seen seem to be all doom and gloom. Keep up the good work!

Please help me with my query. I did an Oraquick test (for Hiv 1&2) - 12 weeks after a possible exposure. The result was negative, however I am not sure I did it properly.

I know you are meant to swab the outside of your upper and lower gums completely ONCE. I actually swabbed most of the upper gum and then part of the lower gum. Then the nurse said it works best if wet, so I then removed the stick from my mouth - licked my upper and lower gums with my tongue and then swabbed quite hard on the outside of part of my upper gum for a second or 2.

Is it possibe that by licking my gums I placed saliva there - ie might have swabbed mainly sailva. And does it negate the test if you rub the stick in one part of your gum?

Many thanks in advance,

Charles

Hey Charles,

No worries man. Your technique will not affect the results of your OraQuick test. Your negative 12-week result is definitive and conclusive. Stop worrying and start WOO-HOO-ing, OK?

Stay well. Congrats!

All I really wanna wanna Do is A Woo Hoo HOO: Oral Debacle [CRACK Medical Doctor]
woopsidoodle - i love you