HIV risk?

Hello Dr Robert, I did an extremely stupid thing right now. I met a guy from an online gay site and we kissed, he sucked me off and we rimmed each other. the problem is I wasn't wearing a condom when he sucked me off and, more importantly, when we were kissing I tasted some 'blood'... It's freaking me out. I know it was my bloody since i've got mild gingivitis but I'm really worried. Whats the risk of getting HIV? Please help me out and also send me the address where I can donate some money. Thanks a lot. From, Worried Guy

Hello Worried Guy,

I'd suggest you take a read through the archives, as I've answered many questions like yours in the past. I'm sure you'll find the testimonials there to be enlightening and encouraging.

Briefly, your HIV risk insertive oral sex, rimming and kissing with "mild gingivitis" is extremely low to negligible. There have been no reported cases of HIV transmission from rimming or getting rimmed. The estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV from unprotected insertive oral sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 0.5 per 10,000 exposures. (Your estimated risk would be even lower as we do not know the status of your partner.) Kissing, even with "mild gingivitis," is not considered to be a significant HIV risk.

If you remain concerned, get an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark; however, I see absolutely no reason for excessive worry. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from the online hookup.

The address of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation is:

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 1000 Fremont Ave., Suite 145 Los Altos, CA 94024

Dr. Bob can you clear up this situation for me! :)
undetectable??Tested too late??