Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Stop the bus. I want to get off
Aug 24, 2006

Hi Dr. Bob,

During a business trip to Nice, France, I had my doo-dah sucked by a prostitute and about 5-10 seconds of vaginal sex, I became convinced I have HIV. I was very drunk, and the episode was most likely protected but, although I have a number of visual recollections of a condom being used, I am not absolutely convinced of this. (maybe guilt ???) Anyway, no real symptoms as such except for what appears to be geographic tongue (slightly hot/sore denuded patches) appearing round about 7 weeks post exposure. This still persists (now at 18 weeks post exp.)

I have taken the following tests;

30 days - COBAS CORE COMBI HIV 1/2 ag+ab = Negative 53 days - COBAS CORE COMBI HIV 1/2 ag+ab = Negative 63 days - COBAS CORE COMBI HIV 1/2 ag+ab = Negative 72 days - COBAS CORE COMBI HIV 1/2 ag+ab = Negative 77 days - Abbot Determine HIV 1/2 Rapid = Negative 93 days - COBAS CORE COMBI HIV 1/2 ag+ab = Negative 104 days - HIV 1 LTR DNA/RNA PCR = Not Detected 104 days - HIV 1 GAG DNA/RNA PCR = Not Detected 104 days - HIV 1 POL DNA/RNA PCR = Not Detected 105 days - Abbot Determine HIV 1/2 Rapid = Negative

I am really scared that I passed HIV on to my wife and my family is going to implode. This is because of her having cold type symptoms one week after we had nookie (after my 13 week test)

I obviously have some anxiety/depression issues to sort out here. I am not proud to have conducted all these tests. I did pay for them myself...but still...it's seems wasteful.

Have I done enough now to categorically rule out HIV or do I need to carry on testing ?

Please help, this episode is crippling me.....

Thanks so much.

Wanglepecker.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Wanglepecker,

Wanglepecker??? Hmmm . . . are you related to Woopsidoodle? He wrote in recently with a similar problem. Oh never mind.

You actually have to make business trips to Nice? Wow! That's nice!

OK, on to your problem a sucked doo-dah and 10 seconds of vaginal sex followed by a slightly hot/sore tongue with denuded patches. You then had seven negative HIV-1/2 and three negative RNA PCRs (for the LTR, GAG and POL genes) out to 105 days post nookie. That's a total of ten negative tests! Count them! 10!!! WOWZA!

So with this history you are "really scared you passed HIV on to your wife and that (your) family is going to implode." Hmmm . . . . Wanglepecker, I've got to say something is just not adding up here. You've had 10 negative tests (that's nine more than you needed, by the way) and you're still freaking out 'cause your wife sneezed?

You write "I obviously have some anxiety/depression issues to sort out here." BINGO!!! There's your problem and that's where you need to focus your attention.

Your repetitive HIV testing is definitive and conclusive (and excessive). HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

My advice is simple:

1. Stop perseverating on an illness you could not possibly have.

2. Level with your wife. It's the best way to confront your guilt. And besides, it's the right thing to do.

3. Get psychological counseling for your anxiety/depression and irrational HIV fears.

4. Next time you decide to have a nice time in Nice, make sure your "Wanglepecker" is properly dressed before you "peck her" to avoid having to go though this ever again.

Stay safe to stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
does anyone know what the hell there talking about?
Next
Herpes possibilty

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.