Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

plz doc,we r on the same channel...i have hiv! and u said that we do have the priority...
Aug 24, 2006

i had repeated exposures to hiv...my fears are real...thank you for your time.. after living with my gf for three month and having unprotedted vaginal intercousre with her three times daily on a regular basis, we found out that she was hiv positive,she was in her seroconversion period because we both tested negative before having unprotected sex..at 30-6-2006 i know so i went for the elisa which came backe negtive,at 5-8-2006, and 20 -8-2006 i went for the test and also came out negative ,my quetion is what are my chances of remainig negative after three month window period? what do u think of my 2 month negative elisa after my last exposure .. is it common to have such frequent exposures and remain negative? and i live in lebanon -third world country- it is possible that thier elisa is not new or sensitive enough to detect antibodies after two month? ps: we dont have any std...her health is excellent, she is active ,energetic...and i did had some fever ans soar throat 2 month ago while i was with her...thank you sir for your time..

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

We are "on the same channel"? Well, maybe. I'm on Comedy Central watching Jon Stewart at the moment. What are you watching?

You've had repeated exposures. OK. If you say so.

Your fears are real. OK. I'll accept that as well.

You have HIV. No. We have no evidence of that yet. Real exposures and real fears do not automatically equal HIV disease.

So you're shagged three times a day on a regular basis? Hmmm . . . impressive! You must be Italian.

Yes, your risk is real, as you had unprotected sex (lots of it) with a partner later confirmed to be HIV-positive, not on medications and possibly with a high viral load due to the fact her infection was recent. No argument there.

Despite this high degree of exposure, it is indeed possible you did not contract the virus. Your two negative ELISA tests several months after your last exposure are very encouraging, but not definitive. HIV tests, yes even in Lebanon, are very accurate. My advice is for you to retest at the three-month mark and, if negative, get one additional test at six months. If these two tests are both negative, your negative HIV status would be conclusively confirmed.

"Is it common to have such frequent exposures and remain negative?" Well, that sounds like a two-part question. Is it common to have such frequent exposures? Nope, three times a day on a regular basis puts you into a very special category that we would affectionately refer to as "Stud." Next, is it common to remain negative following such exposures? Well, since such frequent exposures are not all that common to begin with, this question is a bit more difficult to answer. What I can say is that it is indeed possible to remain HIV negative, even in spite of such significant and repeated exposures. The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected insertive vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures.

To sum up, your exposures were indeed real and very significant. Your fears are real and certainly this is indeed a worrisome set of circumstances. However, to date we have no information that confirms or even suggests HIV transmission has occurred. In fact, we have preliminary (inconclusive) information it did not. The only thing to do now is wait and hope your three- and six-month antibody tests remain negative. I'll also remind you that you need to use latex condoms properly each and every time you have sex with your girlfriend.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Never Ending Story
Next
About the cuticle again

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.