Never Ending Story
Aug 24, 2006
Hi Dr. Bob,
I'm another worried (hopefully well) person who has sent in probably 4 or 5 questions but gotten no answer. I understand that you probably get a ton of these all of the time.
Anyway, I just wanted to say that the time you spend to answer these questions is most appreciated and even if you don't answer mine specifically, the others are very informative.
In case you happen to answer this one (lol), I'm one of these people who have tested a lot after a possibly very risky encounter (receptive w/o protection - something I had never done before or will ever do again) with someone of unknown ststus, but I am still extremely worried. I have had 4 negative Elisas out to 6+ months, and two negative dna pcrs also. I just can't reconcile these negative tests and having swollen glands in the groin and underarm for about 5 months. Do I rely on the post 6 month test results, or should I keep looking into this?
Response from Dr. Frascino
Thanks for your kind comments.
Yep, I get "a ton of these all the time." And my response is always the same, so I'll be brief and refer you to the archives if you want more details or a "wordier version" of this information, OK?
1. Your repeatedly negative HIV tests, including four ELISAs and two PCR DNA tests out to six-plus months are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No further HIV testing is warranted.
2. Swollen glands are an extremely common phenomenon. The vast majority of cases have nothing to do with HIV. I can't diagnose the exact cause of your swollen glands, but I can, with great certainty, tell you what's not causing them: it's not HIV.
3. A negative HIV test trumps "symptoms" each and every time.
Stay well. Stop trying to "reconcile" completely unrelated events! It's like Iraq and 9/11. There is absolutely no connection, no matter how many times Dubya and Cheney say there is.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Blood In Semen After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Diarrhea After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Groin Pain After Sex With Hooker Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Stinging Pain After Getting Head Worried I Have HIV
- A List Of All The Names Of Medicines For Std
- Can I Mix Fluconazole And Monistat?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.