Never Ending Story

Hi Dr. Bob,

I'm another worried (hopefully well) person who has sent in probably 4 or 5 questions but gotten no answer. I understand that you probably get a ton of these all of the time.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that the time you spend to answer these questions is most appreciated and even if you don't answer mine specifically, the others are very informative.

In case you happen to answer this one (lol), I'm one of these people who have tested a lot after a possibly very risky encounter (receptive w/o protection - something I had never done before or will ever do again) with someone of unknown ststus, but I am still extremely worried. I have had 4 negative Elisas out to 6+ months, and two negative dna pcrs also. I just can't reconcile these negative tests and having swollen glands in the groin and underarm for about 5 months. Do I rely on the post 6 month test results, or should I keep looking into this?

Regards,

Will

Hi Will,

Thanks for your kind comments.

Yep, I get "a ton of these all the time." And my response is always the same, so I'll be brief and refer you to the archives if you want more details or a "wordier version" of this information, OK?

1. Your repeatedly negative HIV tests, including four ELISAs and two PCR DNA tests out to six-plus months are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No further HIV testing is warranted.

2. Swollen glands are an extremely common phenomenon. The vast majority of cases have nothing to do with HIV. I can't diagnose the exact cause of your swollen glands, but I can, with great certainty, tell you what's not causing them: it's not HIV.

3. A negative HIV test trumps "symptoms" each and every time.

Stay well. Stop trying to "reconcile" completely unrelated events! It's like Iraq and 9/11. There is absolutely no connection, no matter how many times Dubya and Cheney say there is.

Thanks - You do great work
plz doc,we r on the same channel...i have hiv! and u said that we do have the priority...