Thanks - You do great work

Dr. Frascino,

After considerable angst and worrying, I had two HIV tests conducted over the past several day. The first was an "instant" test purchased at a local pharmacy on Friday that was "FedExed" to a testing clinic and the second was an HIV swab test. Both tests were, thankfully, negative.

The following is a bit of background: I am a young, healthy, arguably handsome heterosexual male who is financially "well-off" who often travels through East and Southeast Asia on businessand that has succumbed to the corporeal pleasures involving "bar girls," "go-go dancers," etc. On both of my previous excursions to Bangkok I experienced complete system failure with my condom.

You may be curious why I am sharing this and the reason is that I have had severe boughts of angst and worry do to having intercourse with sex workers in which my condom failed or, in other words, "unprotected sex." (Yes, I know how to put a condom on.) What I would like to share with your readers without hopefully sounding similar to the puritanical fringe in the U.S., is to seriously consider what you are doing. I have read numerous questions/responses in this forum concerning intercourse with prostitutes, sex workers, etc. in which the individuals, like myself, regretted it a few seconds later due to a similar situation. While I am not also not attempting to sound like a pleasure hating lunatic, it may be helpful to remind individuals that a few minutes/hours of sheer pleasure may not be worth the angst of worrying over three months in worth.

In any event, whether you post this or not, thanks for everything that you do. I have made a donation towards HIV prevention and hope that someday soon we can discover a vaccine, if not a cure.

Khap Khun Khap, Hyde

Hello Mr. Hyde,

How's Dr. Jekyll these days?

Congratulations and WOO-HOO on your negative HIV tests. Thanks for taking time to write in and for your "donation toward HIV prevention."

I'm glad you "know how to put a condom on," but that's only part of the story in using them properly. Condom failure is really a very rare occurrence when condoms are used properly with water-based lubricants. Consequently you might want to check your technique once again before any potential future episodes of banging cock in Bangkok, either as Dr. Jekyll or as Mr. Hyde. (I tend to doubt even an "arguably handsome heterosexual male who is financially well-off, and often travels through East and Southeast Asia" will remain abstinent when blue balls begin to set in.)

Stay safe and you'll stay well.

OraSure Rapid Test Nightmare
Never Ending Story