Hi Dr. Bob, how is your health?

I Dr. Bob, I'm a very big fan of you and your work. I'm sure that if there is a connection between aids and a better life that connection is you! I have no doubt that your words turns magic into the lifes of all who are reading you, including myself. I have a scare of death of contracting aids and when i'm desperate for something I've done wrong, I figure out that this forum an you are the best to keep cool. I am writing to you to thank you but also to ask how is your health? We all have fear that you could disapear one day and since you're being positive for so many years, I want to know if your immune system is fine. I read at mercurynews that you take 26 pills a day, is that true? Why taking so many pills? Please Dr. Bob tell us that you are not to leave us, at least for about the next 100 years. A big hug and thank you in the name of those you help everyday.

Sorry for my bad english...

Phil, Portugal

Hello Portuguese Phil,

Thank you for your very kind comments! I'm delighted you have found the information here to be both informative and reassuring.

How is my health? I'll never complain. As my brother (who is struggling with lung and brain cancer) and I frequently tell each other, "every day above ground is a good day!"

My immune system probably would rate a designation of "fine," but I will say that with an aggressive medication regimen, some coaxing, my hopelessly optimistic attitude and luck, it remains "stable," for which I'm most grateful.

My pill regimen is aggressive 24 pills per day at present. (And that's just my Viagra.) Actually not all my current pills are anti-HIV medications. Some are taken to treat or mitigate the side effects of my antivirals. I'm also taking some drugs on an experimental basis, doing my part to advance the science of HIV treatment!

As for leaving you, I certainly have no immediate plans to do so. Although there are a number of right-wingers and religious zealots who would love to see me disappear. (I'm sure some have tried to silence me from this site already.) In a more global sense, eventually we'll all be leaving, but until then, I suggest we enjoy each and every moment of our remarkable existence on this incredible little planet, spinning happily in space.

Be well. Stay well.

Bullet hit me with HIV
Are they forgetting us?