From Your Friend Me- Did You Get It?

Hi Dr. Frascino. I hope you are doing fine. Were you able to cash the money order I sent? Let me know. As for me, I'm still trying to get up the courage to retest. Diarrhea was the only symptom I had not had, but today I'm having it. I wish there were such a profession as an HIV specialist who is also a psychiatrist so that I could have a psychiatrist present when I test and get the results. I know I would have an immediate breakdown if I am found to be positive. I'm not a very strong person. I'm in NY if you know of anyone or have any suggestions. Thanks.

Your Friend Me

Yes, indeed, we received your generous donation! If you would like to receive in return a formal letter of acknowledgement as well as our token thank-you gift (for tax-deductible gifts of that amount), just advise us to whom and where to send it. If you would prefer to remain anonymous or would prefer not to receive the thank-you gift and acknowledgement, that's certainly fine as well. We are always happy to comply with your wishes.

As for an HIV specialist/psychiatrist, well that could be a useful combination, but unfortunately I do not know of anyone who fits those criteria in NY or elsewhere, for that matter. However, I will advise that most competent and compassionate HIV specialists are usually well trained in how to handle the psychological impact of a positive HIV test. As you can imagine, we have to confront situations like this not infrequently. At the Frascino Medical Group, for example, we've had folks fly from great distances just to get tested at our office, because they felt testing in their state (or home country) was going to be judgmental, inaccurate or unsuitable for any of a number of reasons. We stay with the client during the entire 20 minutes it takes to run the test and are ready to provide anything from a hearty WOO-HOO to psychological counseling and immediate referral to an AIDS-knowledgeable psychiatrist if necessary. Perhaps you could find a similar service in your particular area of NY, or make an appointment to see us next time you are on the west coast.

I thank you once again for your very generous gift. And I'm sending my very best good-luck/good-health karma (it's never failed yet!) that your fears are unfounded and that you are indeed HIV negative.

I'm here if you need me, OK?

Lies and lies and lies
Not a question