The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

500 donation promise, please answer doc

Aug 20, 2006


5th question, please answer, i promise the donation,

i was exposed to hiv in africa about 20 days ago, at 4 days i had a duo that was negative, at 11 days i had a proviral dna/rna which came back negative, at 28 days i will have a p24 antigen test for hiv1 and hiv2.

1)does the proviral dna test completely rule out hiv1 at 11 days post exposure?

2)will the p24 antigen test at 28 days post exposure rule out hiv and hiv2?

3)Can HIV spread through blood from a hiv positive females vagina which lands on your breifs and later your penis touches that blood?


Response from Dr. Frascino


1. Nope. Proviral DNA PCR testing is not considered sufficiently accurate for HIV diagnosis without confirmation. I do not recommend PCR testing for routine screening due to a variety of technical reasons, cost and the rate of false-positives.

2. Nope. The sensitivity of p24-antigen testing is only 90%.

3. The chance of HIV transmission from this hypothetical situation is so remote as to be essentially nonexistent.

Regarding HIV screening, the best test remains an ELISA (or equivalent HIV-antibody test) at three months.

Thanks for your donation! In return, I'm sending you my very best good-luck/good-health karma that your definitive HIV test remains negative.

Dr. Bob

Saint Bob
No q, only a how are you

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint