Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Afriad of my questions?
Aug 19, 2006

Hello~

I have a long story but will make it short and to the point.

I have had two False positive ELSA test results (1st pregnant 2nd a reccent vaccination) I have had 4 NEGATIVE Western blot results (I have had the same parnter since 2002 and he is negative. My aunt has also had a Fasle postive HIV ELSA test.

My questions are 1. Is there something wrong with the women in my family, that we have these results. 2. Will my daughter be the same way (is this heredity) 3.I'm scared to have another child becasue i don't want to live through this again. Will this happen again 4. Why me! Why does this happen.

I know I am blessed and lucky to be negative but why is everyone is afraid to answer why and afriad to inform ppl that false-positive results happen.

Thanks so much

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

No, we are certainly not afraid of your questions. In fact, they've been addressed multiple times in the archives. Have a look! I'll also reprint a recent archival post below.

To briefly specifically address your questions:

1. No, there is nothing wrong with you or the women in your family. It's primarily a limitation of the testing assay that picks up cross-reacting proteins that can occur in women who are or who have been pregnant. These cross-reacting proteins cause the HIV-antibody test to read positive or indeterminate (in the case of some Western Blots), even though the person is HIV negative. That's why we call it a "false-positive". Other tests can easily and definitively differentiate a true- from a false-positive (see below).

2. Perhaps, although it has nothing to do with heredity.

3. Why be scared of a false-positive test when you know you are HIV negative? Don't be a ninny. Will it happen again?: probably, but you already know what it is and how to differentiate a true- from a false-positive test, so this certainly should not be a deterrent to your having children! Frevinsakes!

4. Why you? Lady, this does not only happen to you and it's no big deal. You are HIV negative. Stop whining over the limitations of the test and try having an ounce of compassion for the over 40,000,000 true HIV-positive folks (me included) who would love to have your problems!

Dr. Bob

false positive/can you explain?

Aug 14, 2006

during my pregnancy i was tested for hiv. the ELISA was positive and the western blot came back negative. ive been a blood donar for 3 years and never had a problem until i donated 6 months after i had my baby and they rejected me since the results for hiv 1/2 antibodies came back positive and the confirmatory came back inconclusive. i havent had any intercourse for more than a year so i couldnt have recently been infected. why is the conformatory still inconclusive? is there always going to be a false postive from now on? and is my baby going to have false postives as well?

i recently donated to the red cross and they replied that i can no longer donate blood. my test results:

HIV-1/2 ANTIBODIES=POSITIVE

HIV-1 CONFIRMATORY=INDETERMINATE

HIV-2ANTIBODY=NEGATIVE

NUCLEIC ACID TEST MULTIPLEX FOR HIV/HCV=NEGATIVE

what does this mean? am i HIV positve or negative? why does an indeterminate result occur? this never happened before when i donated. i had a baby 6 months ago. could this be the reason why? during pregnancy i was also tested for HIV and the ELISA was positive and the Wblot was negative. please help. im worried.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I've combined your two questions.

You are HIV negative.

Pregnancy causes a number of changes in the immune system and these changes can affect HIV-antibody-based test results. False-positive ELISA and/or Western Blot tests occur more frequently in women who are pregnant or who have had multiple pregnancies. Most often in these cases the Western Blot is indeterminate, as is the case with your test, rather than definitively positive. A non-antibody HIV test, such as a NAT or PCR, can be helpful to sort out true from false positives. Your NAT was negative. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. OK?

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
NEEDLE STICK
Next
Woohoo..Woohoo.after almost 5 years

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.