Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

5-6 week joint pain
Aug 19, 2006

Hi Dr. Bob,

I've been looking at your archives for a while now and have been very reassured by them. One quick question though: Could you get infected from removing a condom and getting fluid on the end of your urethra? I understand from reading many posts that I had a very low risk encounter with a sex worker, that was protected oral and vaginal, and tested negative at 26 days with Oraquick. And I know symptoms should not be taken too seriously, but I'm getting a lot of joint pain, especially in my knees after sitting for a while. I'm only 24, so I don't know why I would get this type of pain. This is in addition to swollen/tender lymph nodes in my neck and groin since the 2 week mark. I've also had a lot of headaches. I was starting to feel better about this situation but this joint pain is making me worried again. Should I be concerned at all? Thank you for providing this service. When I get a job, I'll be sure to donate to your foundation. I want to do this to help others who are in need, not because of your answer of possible lack thereof. Thanks again.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The chances of getting HIV infected while removing a condom are essentially nonexistent. Your 26-day negative OraQuick is encouraging, but not diagnostic. (Tests taken before the three-month mark are not considered to be conclusive.) Your symptoms are not suggestive of or worrisome for HIV ARS. If your joints are bothering you, see your doctor for a checkup! This is not related to HIV.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
The WOO-HOO heard 'round the world
Next
Drunken state and mind gap

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.