How come you're not at the World AIDS Conference in Toronto?

Hi Dr. Bob,

How's it hanging?

I was wondering how come you're not at the World AIDS Conference in Toronto? I live in Canada right near Toronto and have been watching the coverage trying to better educate myself.

I had an HIV test done 6 months after a possible exposure and was negative. WOOHOO!! No further testing is necessary right? I've read on some sites that additional testing at 1 year is needed, is this correct?

Also, I have to get a cystoscopy done in a couple weeks. Does this procedure hurt a lot? I've been treated since January for prostatitis with antibiotics but with no improvement, the urologist said he wanted to look at my bladder. What will he be looking for?

Thank you very much

Sincerely,

Ron

Hey Ron,

"How's it hanging?" Well, um . . . to the left at the moment. How's yours hanging?

You're not the first (and I'm sure not the last) to ask why I'm not in Toronto at the moment one of my favorite cities, by the way. Well, as it turns out, I had the dates for the International AIDS Conference recorded incorrectly in my electronic peripheral brain. Consequently, I unfortunately scheduled several commitments for this week before realizing ooops, I'm supposed to be in Toronto! I considered canceling my engagements to attend the conference, but I hate to do that once I've committed to something. That, plus the fact I did not have to give any formal presentations at this year's meeting, led me to the decision not to attend. But never fear; I'm keeping well abreast of what's happening there with streaming Internet and nearly non-stop calls. I was asked to cover several scientific sessions at the Toronto meeting and write reports for some AIDS information Web site, but luckily my good friends are covering that for me. So that's the scoop!

Now enough about my scheduling problems and whether I dress to the left or the right (always the left, of course!) and onward to your questions:

1. A six-month test is definitive and conclusive in my book! WOO-HOO!

2. Cystoscopy probably won't be your favorite new hobby, but it's not as painful as having to, say, listen to Dubya and Cheney talk about how we need to "stay the course" in Iraq, etc. As for what your urologist is looking for, you probably should talk to her about that. She's the one on the other end of the scope!

Good luck, Ron!

Crack Medical Doctor Returns: The Oral Suspects
$500 donation promised! Please answer Dr.Bob!