Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How come you're not at the World AIDS Conference in Toronto?
Aug 16, 2006

Hi Dr. Bob,

How's it hanging?

I was wondering how come you're not at the World AIDS Conference in Toronto? I live in Canada right near Toronto and have been watching the coverage trying to better educate myself.

I had an HIV test done 6 months after a possible exposure and was negative. WOOHOO!! No further testing is necessary right? I've read on some sites that additional testing at 1 year is needed, is this correct?

Also, I have to get a cystoscopy done in a couple weeks. Does this procedure hurt a lot? I've been treated since January for prostatitis with antibiotics but with no improvement, the urologist said he wanted to look at my bladder. What will he be looking for?

Thank you very much

Sincerely,

Ron

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Ron,

"How's it hanging?" Well, um . . . to the left at the moment. How's yours hanging?

You're not the first (and I'm sure not the last) to ask why I'm not in Toronto at the moment one of my favorite cities, by the way. Well, as it turns out, I had the dates for the International AIDS Conference recorded incorrectly in my electronic peripheral brain. Consequently, I unfortunately scheduled several commitments for this week before realizing ooops, I'm supposed to be in Toronto! I considered canceling my engagements to attend the conference, but I hate to do that once I've committed to something. That, plus the fact I did not have to give any formal presentations at this year's meeting, led me to the decision not to attend. But never fear; I'm keeping well abreast of what's happening there with streaming Internet and nearly non-stop calls. I was asked to cover several scientific sessions at the Toronto meeting and write reports for some AIDS information Web site, but luckily my good friends are covering that for me. So that's the scoop!

Now enough about my scheduling problems and whether I dress to the left or the right (always the left, of course!) and onward to your questions:

1. A six-month test is definitive and conclusive in my book! WOO-HOO!

2. Cystoscopy probably won't be your favorite new hobby, but it's not as painful as having to, say, listen to Dubya and Cheney talk about how we need to "stay the course" in Iraq, etc. As for what your urologist is looking for, you probably should talk to her about that. She's the one on the other end of the scope!

Good luck, Ron!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Crack Medical Doctor Returns: The Oral Suspects
Next
$500 donation promised! Please answer Dr.Bob!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.