validity of results

Dr Bob,

Wellcome back! I hope you had a good time on your holiday. I am bothering you with a testing question - since you always say that testing is the only way to rule out an infection with HIV. Suspecting ARS, and knowing that my husband is positive, my doctor recomended HIV testing. I had a negative Eliza at 8 weeks from the last unprotected sexual intercourse, but considering the symptoms and high risk involved a HIV specialist in the hospital also ordered a PCR test (quantitative) which come out 'undetectable'. The specialist says that I am negative but the other doctor thinks that there is too soon to rule out an infection. I do not know whose opinion to take into consideration; so can I 'whohooo-hoo' or 'bohooo-hoo'. Please advise, I am really, really confuze!

Thank you a lot....and wellcome back! Sofia

Hello Sofia,

Yes, I had an excellent time exploring the Haute Garonne and Provence!

Regarding your test results, so far they are extremely encouraging! However, because of your documented significant HIV exposure, I too would recommend additional testing. Current guidelines suggest you get an ELISA at three months from your last possible exposure and if negative, one additional ELISA test at six months to confirm your HIV-negative status. I would agree with these recommendations. Certainly with the results you have so far, the odds are now very much in your favor that you did not contract HIV from your husband, despite the considerable exposure you had! I certainly wouldn't BOO-HOO, but I'd hold the WOO-HOO until that six-month result confirms what we all hope to be the case: that you are HIV negative!

I'll send my best good-luck karma that your follow-up tests remain negative. Write back with your six-month final result and (hopefully) we'll all WOO-HOO together, OK?

coming to ohio
causes of hiv negative test result?