The truth about RNA, b-DNA, Quant, Non graph Hiv-1 Antibody tests, please?

Hello Doctor Rob,

Ok, Ok, you're the man. So you get about 242 emails a day, but most seem from ignorant folk that should read the archives before they pester you. ("I touched the face of 327 HIV positive folk at an Aids charity ball, will I get HIV". What the F$#K?? Where is your cave, Osama?) My question is unique. Uh,because its mine.

Ok, behind my attempts at being funny, is latent sleep depriving anxiety. I have read this ARCHIVE plenty, so I deserve a little of your time.

I used to use the internet at home to masturbate, but now I think - Im enrolled in an online HIV ed course.

My question:

I read here on the forum that the Viral b-DNA and RNA tests aren't FDA approved and give a large amount of false positives and antibody testing is the only sure way to know your status. All in all, you guys dont like it much. My doctor here in San Francisco thinks quite highly of them and believes in their accuracy at the end of 4 weeks. Which is next week for me. Because of my timing- leaving for a 8 month round the world trip 34 days after my possible exposure, I rather know one way or another before I depart the US.

My mid risk exposure: I got briefly fingered, about an inch of finger, like 3-4 seconds by a guy of unknown status. He used his saliva for lubrication, but I wasnt actively scanning the horizon for precum. Lets assume there was a drop or two. We also spooned breifly and his erect penis, again possibly with a drop of precum rubbed against my outer anus. No ejaculation, No penetration for sure.

What do you think, Doc?

*Skinny Nervous Boy*

Hello Skinny Nervous Boy,

What do I think? Well, your risk is only minimally, if at all, greater than the "I touched the face of 327 HIV-positive folks at an AIDS charity" guy. That's what I think! Most HIV specialists wouldn't even recommend testing for such a minimal to nonexistent risk.

Regarding plasma HIV b-DNA and RNA PCR tests, it's not that I don't like them. They are excellent tests when used for their appropriate purposes. I don't believe routine HIV screening following a minimal to nonexistent exposure is an appropriate purpose, due to the possibility of false-positive test results and cost. I would still suggest you get an HIV-antibody test at three months, if you feel that you placed yourself at risk. These tests are available and easy to get in most major cities around the world.

Finally, I should mention I get far more than 242 emails per day.

Bon voyage!

lap dance safety
Post - PEP testing