Oops I did it again!

Dear Doctor Robert, I e mailed you a few years back, and you did a lot to keep me calm while waiting for a nice negative test result. If you recall I kept using the titles of Beatles songs in my post, all because you are named Dr. Robert. Anyhow, I had two years of good day sunshine, and then I went and acted like Sir Walter Raleigh (he was such a stupid git!). I have read your forum 1,3876 times over the years, and I know what you are going to say. The odds are greatly in my faovr, symtoms don't mean HIV, etc., but these symptoms would be too coincidental to be anything else. I beg of you, please do not ignore my question. Anyhow, 5 weeks ago, I was at a bar with a friend, and this girl that he was seeing came along. She brought a friend. I am in Miami. They were friends from NY, and the girl was down here for an internship. We had a fun night, and the girl was apparently very into me. At the end of the night, she ended up back at my place. We started fooling around, and at some point I started going down on her. She did not have a great taste down there, and it was making me a little naseous. I put on a condom and we had sex. After we finished, we were lying in bed. At some point, I started rubbing my penis on her vagina. This did not last very long, and there may have been some minor penetration (the head). I penetrated her for maybe 30 seconds, and then started to become concerned because 1) there was no condom and 2) She didn't seem to care. ANyhow, fast forward two weeks. I notice about 5-6 flat painless red marks scattered in the area between my bellybutton and penis. I am pretty nervous about this. I also trimmed down there, and did actually use a dry razor on the shaft to get some stray hairs. The Next night, and old girlfriend was in town and we had sex with a condom. She also gave me a blowjob. Her mouth was very dry and it was pretty painful (but still felt good). I kept telling her "More saliva," and distinctly remember there being a lot of friction. It was painful. The next day she gives me another blowjob. A little better, but still a lot of friction. Anyway, this was 2 and a half weeks ago. The weeks since have been hell. First of all, from that day until now, I have had a terrible rash on my penis. Th underside of my shaft is red on the right side. The rash is consistent over that whole quarter of my penis, and goes down onto the scrotum. The part on the scrotum is itchy, not consistently, but has been on two to three occasions. My penis has been very irritated, although that too is not wholly consistent. There have also been some red bumps on my penis, and there was a spot right at the base of the head that was ulcerated for a few days. I thought it may be irritation or jock itch as I am very active. The pharmacist recommended Lamisil. Since I have used it, there has been no itch, but the rash has not healed and is still irritated. it is slightly better the last two days, but far from perfect. Also, for about a week starting just before the penis irritation I kept getting these little itchy red bumps all over my body. I got about ten a day, and they would each itch for 1-2 days. They were pretty much all over but not on my palms or soles. My stool was a little softer than usual but not quite diarreah. I did have some abdominal discomfort, and I think my groin glands were swollen and tender although I am not sure where they are exactly. I also had slight nausea. I was not particularly tired as I continued to work full days and run 2-3 miles per day without any problem. Earlier this week (4 weeks from exposure, two weeks since onset of symptoms), the left side of my throat hurt for one day. That gland was mildly swollen. It got better quickly. However, I woke up yesterday morning with the right side of my throat hurting. The gland in the right side of my neck is swollen huge, and quite tender. I have had no other symptoms. My temp. is 98.6. I have had no night sweats. I am, however, a nervous wreck. I am sure that you are going to ignore my e mail or just say that my symptoms are not worrisome fro HIV and the odds are greatly in my favor. I would ask you to address it please. I feel doomed. What else could cause this. I did call the girl and she advised that she was in a relationship for 3 years and I am the first person that she has been with since, and that she was recently checked out and is OK, but I have no reason to believe her as I do not know her well at all. I am going to get tested at 3 onths, but I still have about 7 weeks to go. Won't you please please help me? I know you are not the taxman, but I have made donations in the future, and will again upon response (is that blackmail or what!) Just kidding. I will give you a donation either way. Anyhow, Dr. Robert, ma belle, son des mots qui vont tres bien ensemble, I hope to hear a response.

Me

You've read my forum "1,3876 times"???? Hmmm . . . interesting place for the comma. And you "know what (I) am going to say. The odds are greatly in (your) 'faovr,' 'symtoms' don't mean HIV . . . ." Hmmm . . . "faovr"? "Symtoms"? I'll bet spelling and punctuation weren't your favorite subjects in school, right?

Dude, you correctly identified your main problem when you wrote "I am a nervous wreck!" Comments like "I feel doomed" clearly indicate you are clinically depressed and suffering from anxiety. You need to seek the help of a psychologist to help you cope with the stress of waiting for your definitive HIV test results. I'm sorry, but I cannot be that person for you. What I can do is objectively and rationally advise you regarding your HIV risk.

1. Your overall HIV risk remains negligible.

2. Your symptoms are not suggestive of or worrisome for HIV ARS or HIV disease. (You knew I was going to say that, right?)

3. If you're having problems with rashes and red spots, you need to see a dermatologist. These will clear up rapidly with the proper treatment. They are not HIV related.

4. If you indeed have an ulcer on your penis, you need an STD check, particularly for syphilis.

5. You need an HIV test at the three-month mark and yes indeed the odds are all in your favor. (You knew I would say that too, right? Of course you did!)

Finally, you claim "I have made donations in the future . . . ." Hmmm . . . well, OK, if you say so. But until then the Walrus is Paul.

Good luck!

Welcome back Dear Doc and Thanks (From your Egyptian friend)
Thank you Dr. Bob