cmia vs elisa

Dear Dr Bob, It has been longtime since i logged in to the body, just dropping a "hi, hope you are doing great" and also to post a message to all worried wells -i have been one for a long time- " listen to dr Bob, he KNOWS from both sides". I have two questions: I adviced a worried friend to test . I told him that worrying wont stop if he doesnt test , so he did. We went together to the same lab i have tested, and fortunately he was negative, 5 months after a risky exposure he had ( i have not asked for details, it is not my business either to know what he did or to "play doctor". I kept it simple: "if you are worried, go get tested , 3 months after exposure. Well he got negative, so everything is well. I have a question . The lab performed a CMIA HIV i -2 test not the Elisa they were doing before. THe receptionist (not a doctor) said that they now do this test which is better than Elisa ... What is your opinion on that? 2nd Question . What do you think of Bill and Melisa Gates foundation? i Herd on the news that they will fund new research initiatives for HIV and Aids treatment. News dont always tell us the truth and i need your thoughts on weather a donation on Bill Gates foundation serves the cause of your foundation too. I am sending my regular donation to your foundation today, and hope that my small amount will help people in need. Stay well

Welcome back to the forum! We missed you!

1. CMIA is a reliable test. I'll reprint a post from the archives that address this.

2. The Bill and Melinda (not Melissa!) Gates Foundation is brilliant. Positively brilliant! The Gates Foundation is the world's largest private foundation and has become a global force in AIDS-prevention research. Warren Buffet recently donated 31 billion dollars (yes, 31 BILLION) to The Gates Foundation. This week, the Gates Foundation pledged 500 million to the United Nations Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria (a fund Bush has shortchanged for years!). Bill and Melinda Gates, as well as Bill Clinton, are all making addresses at the International AIDS Conference taking place this week in Toronto. Consequently, you should be reading quite a lot about them in the newspapers and on TV (except Fox News, of course).

Thank you for your kind comments and ongoing support!

Stay well.

What is this HIV Testing technology - Is this ELISA testing - you are great Dr.Bob - Want to donate via Bank transfer Oct 27, 2005

Dr.Bob

You are the most amazing human being I have every got to know. The work you are doing is great and I think you should run for the next USA presidential election. Your work inspired a lot of lives and you are making difference to lot of lives. I love you!!!! My question is regarding ELISA testing, my exposure was protected veginal for less then 45 seconds and insertive oral about 2 minutes. The condom does not break and intact all the time. I have already go for blood test and awaiting result. However the Lab (I m in Asia) where I go for blood test, I enquire them about he testing technology, they replied me as below.

we are using the latest automated CMIA (chemiluminescent microparticle immunoassay) technology for our Anti-HIV 1&2 screening. This ARC HIV Ag/Ab Combo assay will have better sensitivity and specificity for the simultaneous qualitative detection of HIV p24 antigen and antibodies to HIV type 1 (Group M & Group O) and/or HIV type 2, if comparing to other screening methods like the manual ELISA 3rd generation etc

My question

1) What type of test is this, is this standard ELISA test, if yes, what is the generation 2) Based on my risk, can I consider my result conclusive after 14 weeks by using this test. 3) I got classic text book ARS symptoms at week 8, I read that if ARS occurred it usuly occurred 2-4 weeks, are these ARS symptoms 4) How to donate to you if via bank transfer as I dont have credit card.

And again in the last, I love you.the work you are doing inspired me a lot. I am sure if United states got the prent like you, the world will be a very different place.

Thanks for your kind comments.

To answer your specific questions:

1. The test you describe detects anti-HIV 1 and anti-HIV 2 antibodies. This would be analogous to an ELISA test that also detects anti-HIV antibodies. I cannot comment about the "generation" from the information provided.

2. Yes.

3. Symptoms related to HIV seroconversion, called acute retroviral syndrome (ARS), generally, but not exclusively, occur at the two-four week period. However, the only way to determine if your symptoms are HIV-related is to get an HIV test three months or more after your last potential HIV exposure.

4. Donations to my foundation via direct wire transfer from bank to bank can be made following the directions below: Mellon Bank Pittsburgh, P.A. ABA # 043000261 Credit ML Account Number 101-1730 Further Credit to: Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation Account # 830-04C48 Swift number MELN US 3P Any questions regarding the wire transfer may be directed to Linda Godfrey. You may call collect at 732-627-6600 or e-mail her at LGodfrey@pclient.ml.com.

Thank you for your willingness to help others in desperate need. Your one gift will touch many lives. I have often found helping others is an effective way to keep our own problems in their proper perspective. It's also a great way to rack up excellent cosmic karma with the higher powers!

Good luck. Stay well. Many thanks.

Unprotected sex and HIV treatment
4 Negatives Up to a Year: Please tell me I need a Psychologist