Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

unlikely candidate for HIV
Aug 13, 2006

I have just had a pre employment routine HIV screening, which came back positive. I am absoultely shocked as I thought I'd be an unlikely candidate. Several reasons: have been married and with same person for 5 years. I've had 4 negative HIV screenings over the past 12 years (mainly for employment issues), have never used needles and the one person I slept with who actually gave me herpes was in the early 1990s. I would have thought with the number of negastive tests done already, and my 'non risk' since the last one, that this test would have been negative. I have going to have a different test done to confirm and my doctor says there are fasle positives, but I am freaking out. It seems so unlikely but could a relationship i was in 14-15 years ago, despite 4 negative tests since then, still come back positive, all these years later?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You've had four negative HIV tests over the past 12 years and your last potential exposure was 15 years ago. And you consider yourself to be a "non-risk." Consequently, your recent pre-employment HIV screening test is most likely a false positive. If what you tell me is true, your being HIV positive is about as likely as finding a package of Hebrew Nationals in Mel Gibson's refrigerator.

Don't freak! Your follow-up tests will confirm your negative status.

Dr. Bob

Previous
sex memory
Next
RE: Medication

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.