A big woohoo...

I sent in a question once before and you gave me some good advice. My wife was pregnant when she discovered that she was positive. I felt certain that she had gotten it from me and my sordid past. It seems it was not the case. I took the test asssuming the worst... it came back negative. We had unprotected sex on an almost nightly basis. I put the fact that I was not infected down to dumb luck and that for the two years we were together I lived a very healthy lifestyle, fitness-wise I was in tip top shape.

The diagnosis knocked me for six, as we say in Australia. I was absolutely devastated. We started discussing our options. I asked you what the odds were that our baby would be infected. I got a good answer and a good piece of advice. We travelled to Tokyo and went to the biggest hospital in the country. It was the first time that I had ever been confronted with HIV in such a way. I was in a room where apart from some of the doctors and nurses, I was probably one of the only HIV negative person there. There were a lot of people in that room, most of them very young and from all walks of life. We spoke to some doctors and one of them downloaded a document from a hospital in San Fransico relating to treatment given in pregnancy. I read it in the waiting room. We then saw a bilingual HIV specialist. After talking to her, reading a lot, scouring this site and thinking a lot, we decided to go through with the pregnancy.

My son was born four months ago. He has had three tests so far and all have been negative. He had one more the day before yesterday, but I am fairly confident that the result will be the same.

When I got my test result it was not exactly a woohoo situation. My wife was still positive and still pregnant. A healthy HIV negative son is, however, cause for a celebration.

Thank you Dr. Bob.

Thank you for taking the time to write in and share your heartwarming story. HIV disease is a reality over 40 million of us have to cope with on a daily basis. However, taking control of the situation and not allowing HIV to devastate our hopes and dreams is one way to help conquer the virus. Congratulations to both you and your wife on your healthy new addition! May you all have long, healthy and wonderful lives.

Limited Exposure
oral sex