Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

4th time asking - cold water
Aug 12, 2006

Do i need to donate money for a response. I think i will donate even if i dont get one because i have gotten a lot of valuable information and have actually been less worried about blood. I am planning on becoming a dentist and was terrified about sticking myself, but after this site, i realize its unlikely expecially if i practice dentistry safe.

Ok heres the question!

I was tubing down a creek/river and a lady was bleeding down her leg. The area of the river she was standing was not moving fast/flowing fast. I had a small cut on my finger, it was not bleeding, but did not have a scab on it, so what would my risk be if my finger was exposed to the bloody water. The water was not red or anything like that. This is driving me nuts thinking about this and need some answers. I like to worry about stupid things, is this just another stupid worrying situation for me?

Also, i see many responses that HIV does not survive long at all in water and warm water, does this hold true for cold water?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You like to worry about stupid things . . . ????? Hmmm . . . couldn't you find a better hobby? How about Soduko???

Your HIV risk is nonexistent. You can't contract it in a river (warm or cold), unless, of course, you're having unprotected sex while riding the rapids.

Thanks for your kind comments and desire to help those in need (www.concertedeffort.org). As for your career in dentistry, you'll soon learn "universal precautions" are a prerequisite for protecting both you and your patients.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV Symptoms and presence of HIV Antibodies
Next
Please Sir, show me the way!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.